Chapter 13 (unedited)

Multi-colored lilies on the side. 

My entire dinning room, living room and kitchen are over run with multi-colored lilies. Some in vases while others are in pots. It looked like a scene from that one episode of Gilmore Girls or the music video for Happily Ever After by Case. 

Once I got over the awe of the situation Lenny and I watched the game. His team lost of course. Seriously how did the Giants win the super bowl?  I’d already missed the Niners game. Blew out the Cowboys of course. (Pained me so much to write this!)

After all the pizza was gone and no more games where coming on we went to bed. We both had early mornings. 

By the time the sun rose I was in my "office", finalizing articles for the magazine. Lenny left hours ago for the hospital. The house was quiet except for the radio in the corner providing background noise. I finished putting together the final product and sent to the owner for approval via email.  

Finished with working for the day I took the potted lilies to Mom’s house. She still hadn’t come home but expected to be back in a few days or so. Once I reached her house I set out to planting them in the yard. Once I completed the planting I snapped a picture and sent it to Mom and Marshall. 

They replied at the same time. I opened Mom’s message first. ‘Wow so beautiful. Thanks love!!’

 I smiled as I moved on to Marshall’s message. ‘Glad to see you made use of them. Your yard?’ Something I like about him. No assuming. ‘Nope, Mom’s. Mine is a rental.’ ‘O I C. I wanna see you again.’ ‘Anytime ;)’ ‘Ima hold you to that.’ I smirked at the phone as if he could see me. ‘Please do’.

A few days later Mom finally returned from Cali. I picked her up from the airport. When I saw her I ran to her like I use to when I was in Elementary. “Hi Mom! I missed you so much.” We embraced as if this was our first meet. “Missed you too love.” She whispered into my hair. After we pulled away, we grabbed her suit case and headed home. 

LENNY’S P.O.V.

Finally my shift is over.  I stretched my arms out into the cool night air. These long hours are going to be the death of me. Despite my woeful thoughts I live for this job. All I ever wanted to be was a doctor. You know helping people making a difference. 

With a deep sigh I head over to my car. The ride home isn’t long and soon I’m walking up to the door. Asia’s car isn’t here most likely she’s at Aunt Doris’ house. 

I make sure the house is locked down then checked the house messages. ‘Lenny, staying at Mom’s see you in the a.m.’ Next message. The mechanical voice rang throughout the house. ‘Holding you to your word. Be there at ten.’ No more messages. 

I’m slightly confused. Was that Marshall? I check my wrist-watch. Almost midnight. May be he-. A knock on the front door brings my thoughts up short. Must be Marshall. After checking the peep hole I opened the door for him. 

“What up man.” We did the man hug as he stepped into the house. Looking at him in the hall light makes me think he must be tired. “Hey man. Nothing just came to see my girl.” Yep sounds just like he looks. He could fall asleep at any moment. He rubbed a hand over his entire face as if to swipe away the sleep. 

I locked both doors. “She’s not here.” His hands dropped and his head shot up to me. Brows furrowing while his eyes looked at me expectantly. Must not have talked to Asia. “Well where is she?” Nope definitely did not talk to Asia. “At her Mom’s.” He just nodded. “She said she’d be home in the morning.” He nodded tiredly as he eyes closed.