Chapter 18 (unedited)

Very short chapter.

We have been at Mom’s house for about an hour. Everyone who attended the funeral are now traipsing through Mom’s house. The reception has been going on for about an hour.  Every where I turned there are tears in everyone’s eyes. All this sadness I just cant deal with. I just need to escape for a while. I know just where to go.

I didn’t have to search for Myk she has been sitting in the same chair since we arrived. Curtis has been looking after her the entire time. Getting her food, drink or deflecting people away from her. Otherwise I would not have considered leaving her down here. “Hey Myk.” When she looked up at me I continued. “I’m going to my room.” She only nodded with a sad smile. I bent down to hug her and whispered. “I’ll try not to be too long.” I released her turning towards the door. Before I could make my escape Chester latches on to my arm and pulls me up the stairs. 

As we make it to the top of the stairs I see Nathan standing at my room door. His sad smile brought tears to my eyes. “Hey you. What are you doing here?” I’m so confused. Did Marshall send him here? “Guys this isn’t a good time to kidnap me again.” Nathan just shook his head as he opened my room door. The crease in my forehead deepened as I stared at him not making a move. Chester however was not having any of that and promptly pushed me in. As soon as I cleared the door they shut it. 

Normally I would have screamed to come out but I just didn’t have the strength today. The bathroom door opened up causing my eyes to plant themselves there. Who the hell is in my bathroom? I stepped toward the bathroom door but then he stepped out. He chuckled at the surprised look on my face. “Marshall?” I whispered in disbelief. I knew he was still in Dallas but I had no idea he would show up here.

Before I could make another move his arms closed around me. I let the fury of sobs and tears go right on to his shoulder. “I cant believe you’re here. What if someone saw you?” His hand started to move soothing circles on my lower back. “I don’t care. Right now you need me.” 

I’m not sure how long I cried before the darkness consumed me. I haven’t cried myself to sleep since my Mom died. This will be the last time I cry. I cant become this blubbering mess. The last thing I remember is Marshall hands soothingly rubbing my back. I welcomed the darkness that took me from this sadness.

When I opened my eyes the sun was starting to set. I sat up on my bed. A deep chuckle from behind scared me and I spun around effectively falling on the floor. Causing the chuckle to turn into a laugh. “Dammit Marshall you scared me.” I whispered yelled. His hands went up in surrender. “Sorry. Didn’t mean too. Just that you are really true to your word. I mean look at this room.”

I looked around my room. Everything was red, gold or white. “Well I am a Niners fan.” I smiled looking around as if I had never seen this room. “How old were you when you put this together?” I smiled at the memory of Myk and me shopping for our rooms. We both knew exactly what we would do to our rooms. She had always, stupidly, loved the Cowboys and I always loved the 49ers. “Thirteen. I’ve upgraded a little at a time. Mom wouldn’t let us get the mini fridges. Said we would never leave our room.” 

The sound of the doorbell brought me out of my memory. I jumped up and ran for it. “I got it!” I yelled, as I touched the last step. The sound echoed throughout the house. 

Once at the door I checked the peep hole to see Lenny and Carlo. Normally Carlo hung out at my house with Lenny. His and Myk’s paths never cross. I make sure of that. “Shit.” I swore under my breath. I looked behind me quickly as I opened the door. This might not go over to well.

I opened the door. “Hey Lenny. Where’d you pick up the stray?” Carlo clutched his chest feigning hurt. “Ouch! Baby you hurt my feelings.” My eyes roll on their on accord as I let the door fall open. I motion with my hand for them to come on in.

When Lenny hit the threshold he yelled out. “Kaela where you at?” Myk yelled back. “We’re in the kitchen.” 

I could hear Lenny greeting Curtis first then turned his attention to Myk. “Kaela you remember my friend Carlo, right?” I stepped up next to Lenny with Carlo hot on my trail. That is until he saw Mykaela then I was forgotten. So I took this moment to make my escape. 

I went back to my room where Marshall was laying in my bed. I made sure that the door was locked. Definitely did not want any intruders. I laid down next to him quietly so I wouldn’t disturb him. The sounds of footsteps coming up the stairs caused me to tense. Then I heard Mykaela’s door open and shut. I relaxed into the bed falling asleep next to Marshall.

The next morning I woke up to the feel of lips on my throat. As my mind became more aware I could feel Marshall’s body over mine. 

“Good morning to you too.” I opened my eyes to see those blues eyes staring back. “I have to go.” I could tell that the sun hadn’t came up yet. My side table lamp was on illuminating his face. “Last time you got upset. So I made sure to wake you this time.” I smiled up at him. “Thank you. Let me walk you to the door.” Marshall moved back to allow me to get up. 

We still didn’t want to be caught so I went for the door first. Marshall stood back just in case someone else was up. I unlocked the door and checked the hallway. When I saw no one I motioned for Marshall to follow me. 

We made it down the stairs with no problems. Marshall opened the front door to see a black SUV waiting. “I’m going to call you later okay.” I knew it wasn’t a question. He’s saying the phone will ring and I better answer. I nodded sleepily at him. He leaned into me placing his lips firmly on mine. Then he was gone. Into the car and off to who knows where.