Chapter 14 (unedited)

Picture of Asia on the side.

A few days ago Myk called telling me she’s going to be in New York with Curtis for a while. Since she arrived I have been receiving texts and pictures everyday. I must say that the place is beautiful. Definitely have to go there one of these days. 

‘Just met the whole family. Might be in love with the whole package.’ I had to smile at that. “What’s with the smile?” I looked across the table at Mom. “Pooh Bear’s texting me she may be in love with him. I’m just glade she could find happiness after Richard.” Mom nodded her head in agreement breaking a smile of her own. 

It‘s lunch time so me and Mom are at Cheddars. Been a while since I have had a public outing. I think the last public outing was the schools opening. I sighed deeply. Mom looked at me as if she knew something all of a sudden. “So I have been wondering something since the house warming party.” I frowned slightly. That was a while ago. “Okay.” I stretched out. “Well you and um, well I’m not sure of his name. He’s one of Curtis’ friends. You two seemed like you already know each other. Care to explain?” 

Oh shit how could I forget about Mom? She sees and knows it all. There really isn’t anything you can hide from her. A sigh of defeat escapes my lips. I look around for a moment judging the distance of the other tables. I cant let anyone hear me. I leaned across the table and Mom did the same. “His name is Marshall. We have been dating very secretive behind everyone’s back. Only three people know about it.” 

I leaned back into my seat. That was a like a weight lifting off my shoulders. Mom smiled back at me and sat back in her seat. “I thought so. Feel better?” I just nod my head. “So how do you feel about Curtis?” I was desperately trying to change the subject. She smirked at me like ‘yeah I know what you’re trying to do’. “I really like Curtis. A wee bit over protective but that doesn’t seem to be a bad thing.” Before she could finish I’m crying with laughter. “Mom did you just say ‘wee bit’?” She chuckled. “I guess I did. Spending to much time at the nursing home.” She looked down at her watch and got up. “Speaking of which I have to get back to it, Love. Thanks for lunch.” I just nodded my head as a welcome. “Love you to Mom. Bye.”

I called the waiter over for the check. I paid the bill and headed out. I hadn’t heard much from Marshall since he was last at my house. I know he was working so I was trying not to bother him. I just miss that guy so damn much. As I’m walking over to the car I pull out my phone. I put on the best sad face I can muster. I snapped a picture then sent it to Marshall. ‘Missing you every second.’ I got into the car and drove out of the parking lot. 

Before I could even open the door I could hear the phone ringing. Oh yeah, lunch is officially over. The life of an Editor is never done. Of course the phone was no longer ringing when I stepped into the house. I grabbed the handset and headed for my office. 

I spent the rest of the afternoon in my office conversing with my writers. We are currently working on the Teen issue of the magazine. It became apparent that I needed some teenagers to ask personally about their fashion. The only people I know with teenagers are Marshall and Curtis. I pulled out my phone and sent a message to Marshall and one to Myk. Asking for information from Hailie, Elaina and Marquise. 

I finished with the rest of my day as fast as humanly possible. So many emails and phone calls. I know what you must think. Why not hire a personal assistant. Hell, even Lenny has asked me that question before. Believe me, I have thought about it. Then I think about how the personal assistant would need to be all intertwined in my life and realized that cant happen. I mean what if she found out about Marshall? I think we have been doing alright with keeping this under wraps.