Chapter 16 (unedited)

It has been about three days since the accident. Yesterday I called my boss to request a few days off. I just could not deal with work right now. After I explained the situation she immediately agreed to give me the time off and then some. As it stands I am on leave for the next three months. My boss lost both of her parents when she was younger. So she was more that understanding when I called her. She even talked to Mykaela about calling if she needed anything.

Who hasn't made a decision as to what she is going to do. I’m no help what so ever. I cant know what I would do in her situation. Nor do I want to be in her situation. I have been keeping to myself as much as I can. Family started to trickle in today. Everyone giving their condolences. 

I turned off my cell after we called to inform the family. Marshall nor Curtis have this house number so they couldn't call. Sitting her, in my room, on my window seat I turned my phone back on. I listen to all of the messages of Marshall asking me to just call him. I read the messages and they are much of the same. I looked over to my door making sure it is still locked. I hit send to call Marshall. 

The phone rung for a little while then he picked up. “Hello?” I was silent for a moment. “Asia, is that you?” I smiled at his sleepy tone. “Yeah its me.” I sniffled. “What the hell is going on? Why haven’t you called me back or text me back.” I took a deep breath. “There was an accident. My Mom is in the hospital. She’s not going to make it.” My voice broke on the end as tears began to fall. “Aw man. I’m sorry babe.” “Thanks.” 

“What are you up to?” I asked trying to redirect the conversation. He chuckled on the other end. “Nothing much. Just getting everyone ready to go back to school.” I laughed as I let my eyes linger on the kids playing in the front yard. “You sound so disgruntled.” “Truthfully I am. I cant wait for the girls to be out of school. So I don’t have to go through this any more.” “So why not hire someone to do the back to school thing?” “The girls request I do it myself.” I nodded as if he could see me. “You ever think about more kids?” I sighed trying very hard to keep my voice neutral. This back to school talk brings up so many memories of Mom. “Oooh noooo. Absolutely not.” 

Yeah my hormones jumped into high gear at that answer. Tears were cascading down my face. “Um, hey can I have Curtis’ number. I need to talk to him.” “Sure.” He whispered to me. “I’ll text it to you. Asia, you know it will be okay, right.” “Yeah I do. I’ll talk to you later.” I hung up as the full force of the sobs started hitting me. 

LENNY’S P.O.V.

It’s been a week that Aunt Doris has been in the hospital. It has been like the living dead around here. A lot of family came in to Dallas. Most of them went to the hospital and said their good byes. There hadn’t been any change since day one. Myk just hadn’t been able to ‘pull the plug’ for lack of a better term. The head of my hospital told me to take all the time I needed. I tried to go back to work three days ago and kept messing things up. I was immediately sent home after that day.

Currently I’m laying in bed staring up at the ceiling. I tried to sleep really I did but nothing worked. Myk, Asia and I have been staying at Aunt Doris’ house since everything happened. I don’t know what’s up with Asia though. She has really been staying to herself as much as possible. At first I just thought she was sad but now I think she may be depressed. She wont talk to either me or Myk. We’re really worried. 

“Hey Lenny. How are you?” I looked over to see Macey standing in my room. She had been coming over everyday to check on us. Going to the grocery store and keeping Myk company. She has been wonderful. “Hey Macey. I’m about the same. Happy to see you though.” I sat up in bed as she took a seat next to me. “Are you?” I looked at her confused. “Why wouldn’t I be?” She shrugged. “I don’t know. Just sometimes that can be a line guys use. You know.” I nodded. Yeah I do know that. I use to be one of them. That is until Aunt Doris set me straight. “Look I have to go. I just came to bring breakfast. It’s on the table.” She walked toward the door. “Call me if you need me.” She said walking out. I just nodded in answer. Then she was gone.