Chapter 29.

Cole's POV

I did as Coach said. Lex went to all the practices for this week. It was now Friday and I told her that she can't come today. I told her that we were practicing the whole day today and obviously she can't skip classes. There was still after school practices but she doesn't have to know about that. I made the excuse that I was going to hang out with the boys, which is why I couldn't take her home. She understood and just wished me goodluck.

When we arrived at school, people crowded me. I greeted them all and winked at some girls who were trying to get my attention. They giggled to themselves. I turned to look at Lex but she's already escaped and entered school. She does this everyday.

I grabbed my gym bag and headed to the locker room. I was the first one there. I changed to my uniform and stretched my arms out. I felt so tired and drained. My legs feel so damn sore from all the practice. Coach came in and smirked at me.

"Why hello Cole" He says

"Hey Coach..." I look at him confused

"How you feelin?" He asks

"Tired and Sore. I think I need some coffee." I say

He mumbles something else under his breath. I couldn't hear it so I shrugged it off. He and I talked strategy while waiting for the others to arrive and finish changing.

"COLE!!" Coach yells at me again. This is the tenth time he's yelled at me for the whole day. I keep doing things wrong. It was either the ball kept being stolen from me -which usually never happens-, I keep missing the goal or I end up getting caught and mind goes blank on what to do. I was doing terrible on the day before the practice. What kind of team captain am I?!

"Cole come over here." Coach says. I walk over to him with my head down in shame. Instead of scolding and lecturing me, he puts his hand on my shoulder and gives it a squeeze. I look up in confusion and he pushes someone in front of me. My confusion grows even more as I recognize the familiar chocolate hair.

"Hi" Lexi grins at me

My eyes widen in shock. I stood frozen in my place. She laughs and gives me a tight hug. I immediately push her back.

"Lex!! I'm sweatyyy" I tell her

"Yeah no shit. You've been practicing the whole day; Of course you'll be sweaty!" She says in a duh tone. She hugs me once again and this time I hug her back

"What are you doing here?" I ask when we pull away

"Came to check on how you were doing...that and Jess wanted to watch Chase, so she told Jordan to cover for me." She says with a shrug

"Coach says you've been doing real bad..." she says softly. I sigh and ruffle my hair.

"I just feel so out of it today." I say, glaring at the floor.

"Hey. Don't you dare feel discouraged. I'm not giving you some long ass speech because you really don't need it. What you need is to wake the hell up and do your damn best. Show the team and show coach why you're worthy of being team captain. I want you to go out there and show the world how amazing you are in soccer. Make sure they won't regret choosing you as team captain. "She says seriously. I let her words sink in and slowly nod my head.

"Yeah...yeah. You're right Lex. I need to show everyone why I was chosen to be the leader of this team. I can't let them down. Not today, not ever." I say

"There he is. Cole's back on the game!!" She cheers

"No thanks to you" I grin at her

"Yeah yeah whatever. Now go!!!" She ushers me to get back in the field. I hug her one last time before giving her a smile and running back to coach. Coach nods at me and I take a deep breath as I start another round of practice.

I finally got myself together and focused on practice. Coach no longer called me out and scolded me. I stopped making mistakes and even did better than all the other practices. I felt great to be back. It was like I went through a moment where I just didn't know what to do and my mind just went blank.

I was walking out of the locker room when Coach came up to me.

"Glad to see that you finally got your shit together. I guess all that practice made you go brain dead" He chuckles

"Yeah I think so too coach." I laugh

"Cole, make me a promise." He says seriously

"Uhm sure Coach" I say

"Bring Ms Brians to each and every soccer game you will ever have." He says

"Uhmmm...why?" I ask

"You still don't see it?" He asks. I shake my head, making him sigh

"Cole, did you talk to Alexa this morning? Before practice?" He asks. I shake my head no

"And how did you do during the morning?" He asks again

"Terrible."

"And when did you start getting better at practice today?" He asks

"After talking with Lexi." I answer

"Now let that sink in."

Lexi motivated me today to do better at practice. The past days when she came to practice, I felt like I had to do good. I felt like I had to impress her and I was always doing well when she was here. Every time she came to practice I became WAY better than before. I will always score a goal and the ball almost never gets stolen.

Lexi was like my motivation. My lucky charm.

My eyes widen at the realization and Coach smirks.

"You were right Coach." I admit

"I told you. As long as she's there, you're unbeatable." He says

"Goodluck tomorrow Cole." He says as he puts a hand on my shoulder. He walks away,leaving me to my thoughts. He snaps me out of it though when he yells over his shoulder

"SHE'S A KEEPER COLE."

//////////////////////