Chapter 31.

Cole's POV

I found Lexi at home. Marie called me and told me that Lex came home crying. I came home immediately and ran up the stairs to her room. I tried opening the door but it was locked. Lexi was sobbing, Cola was whining and I was desperately pleading for her to let me in.

"Lexi-"

She cuts me off. Her voice was raspy and weak.

"COLE PLEASE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE" She yells. Everything silenced.

"...are you sure?" I ask softly

"Yes!!!" She exclaims

"Okay...I'll be right here if you need me." I say. I tell Cola to follow me. He whines but does so anyways. Cola and I made our way to my room. I sat in bed with my head in my hands. Whoever this Josh is, I'm gonna kill him for making Lex feel like this.

She didn't come out for hours now. I've been waiting and waiting but unlike Lex, I struggle with patience. Her sobs have toned down now,thankfulness. I've been restless, thinking about Josh, about Jess and obviously about Lex. I didn't reply to anyone who texted me. They were all asking where I was. I was the star of the game and I'm supposed to be at the party by now, but I refuse to leave Lex alone at a time like this. I told them I wasn't feeling well and I need my rest. They told me I was party pooper but then said for me to get better.

A soft knock on my door snapped me out of my thoughts. I junped out of bed and quickly opened the door. I saw a glimpse of chocolate brown hair and it was enough for me to know it was Lex. I immediately grabbed her in a hug.

I pulled away and closed the door. I carried her to the bed and laid her down. I got in bed next to her and continued hugging her. We sat there in silence until I decided to break it.

"Can you tell me what happened or?"

She sighs deeply and hugs me tighter.

"You don't have to if you don't want to" I quickly add "I was just so worried about you..."

"I'm sorry..."she says

"For what?" I ask her

"I ruined your day...You won the game and your supposed to be happy, but instead you're here comforting me..Oh god. Oh god .I'm sorry!. I'm so slefish. I'm keeping you here with me when you should be out celebrating with others and having fun. Fucking hell Alex. You're such a bitch." She rants

"Lex...stop that. Stop saying those bad things about yourself. You're not selfish. I'm here because I want to be. It's just a damn party. They happen everyday. I am not going anywhere and leaving you here in this vulnerable and fragile state." I say

"But Cole-"

"No. I'm not going. I'm staying here." I state firmly.

"Okay..." she sighs

Her eyes start to droop and her breathing slowed down. I tried to removed her hands so she could get more comfortable but her grip just tightened on me. She looked at me with half open eyes

"Stay." She whispers. I immediately nod and get back in our original position. I thought she was asleep but she caught me off guard when she spoke

"Cole?" She whispers tiredly

"Yeah?"

"Congratulations on winning the game. I'm so proud of you." She says. A small grin makes its way on my face

"You were so good out there. I understand why you're the team captain now."

I smile and hug her. She cuddles into me, making me smile lightly.

"Thanks Lexi...does this mean you'll come to my other games?" I ask hopefully. She nods and whispers

"Definitely"

She fell asleep soon after. I felt happiness in me when I found out Lex thought I did a great job. All this time I was trying to impress her and I did. I made her proud of me.

My smile faded when I looked at her tear stained cheeks. I sighed and ran my hand through her soft hair. Lexi is so broken. She's had a rough past. Bullying, verbal abuse and god knows what else she's gone through. I don't see how people could hate her...

I'm such a hypocrite. I hated her. I hated her because of no apparent reason. I hated her because I was a stupid teen who held a grudge on the first nerd to stand up to me. I don't hate her anymore, far from it actually.

Now, I hate myself. I hate myself for starting all the bullying. I hate myself for being so stupid and blind. I hate myself for not being able to help her.

I looked at Lex once again and plantd a small and soft kiss on her head.

"I promise I'll always be there for you. I promise I'll make up for the years of bulllying."

"But most of all, I promise to make you happy again. I'm GOING to make you happy. I'm gonna help you out of your depression. You won't need your medication anymore."

They say promises are meant to be broken, but I'm not intending to ever break this one.

////////////////////////