Part 7

"I am sorry Samy, we just got details about him and are very lucky in the sense, we came to know about him before things got serious." My mom sat by me, rubbing my back to reduce the sense of shock I was feeling.

"What happened?" I was still confused and in a daze.

"Your cousin Sasi called after you left with Sid for dinner. She wanted to know more about Sid, after she got the news from your aunt. After we gave Sid's details, she told us that Sid  went to the same college as her and was her senior. She didn't seem happy about this alliance and when we pressed her hard, she sent us a link to a news article, printed few years ago when Sid passed out of college."

"What is it about?" I asked trying to control my shaking voice.

"Its better if you read it, than me telling you about it. Your Dad called his friend, Director of police, and asked him to collect more information about Sid."

"Did you guys meet with Sid's parents and ask about these issues?"

"Yes we did meet and asked them about it. They got angry and soon the situation got out of control and we walked out of there. I have been trying to reach you to make you aware of the changed circumstances, but couldn't get to you." My mom described in detail the fight with Sid's parents.

Just then my phone started ringing and all of us looked at it the same time.

"Don't talk to him!" My father shouted.

I picked up the phone and before Sid could say anything, "Sid, I will call you tomorrow morning and talk to you."

"Samantha, let me .." he tried to explain.

"Not now Sid .. not a good time. I will call you tomorrow." I said to him and disconnected. I needed time to think through the issue.

I took the iPad lying on the center table and noticed the article already opened. I read the headline again and again.

"Top BITS student accused of killing fellow student, who was pregnant."

The last part rocked me to the core and felt like I stepped on a land mine. I was hoping to talk to my parents and convince them somehow, but the situation was more serious than I thought. I read rest of the article slowly, dreading it could be the worst case scenario.

"Mahira Khan, reported missing for three days, is now believed dead as belongings related to her were recovered from the river. However her body hasn't been recovered as it might have flowed into the Sea. The Police initially started investigating the case as a missing person case after receiving complaint from Mahira's family. Mahira was supposed to reach her parents home in Calcutta, three days back, but never made it." I took the ipad upstairs to my room and continued reading .

"Investigators believe that Mahira never left Mumbai, where she was working as an intern in a reputed software company. Though Mahira had her own apartment, her roommates told the cops that she spent most of the time living with her college mate Siddarth, in his apartment, who also worked as an intern in the same firm. Prior to joining the firm as interns, both Sid and Mahira, were computer science classmates in BITS, and as per police investigation, were believed to be very close friends and were seen together most of the time. Police are currently interrogating Sid to get more details and are trying to find the body and could charge him with murder, depending on his cooperation with the case. Our correspondent has also learnt the possibility of Mahira being pregnant, as one of the doctors came forward after reading about this case in newspapers and informed the police that Mahira was her patient and she was three months pregnant. Police and Mahira's family remain tightlipped about her condition. Stay tuned for further details."