Chapter 41

Lauren's POV

"No she's not in today ma'am I'll leave a message if you want?" Halsey asked as she got out her notebook while I sipped on my coffee looking at Marina playing with a new toy.

"Okay but if you would like you can call between four pm and four thirty?" Halsey suggested to the woman on the phone and I giggled at Marina when she pinched her finger from the toy.

"It's not funny." Marina mumbled frowning up at me and I quietly laughed at the way she jumped so quickly.

"Okay bye bye now." Halsey fake laughed and hung up the phone with a groan.

"Can I have some Ms. Jauregui?" Halsey asked pointing to the coffee and I chuckled passing her my mug.

"What is this stupid toy anyways?" Marina huffed as she pinched her other finger accidentally.

"I really don't know to be honest." Halsey mumbled as she looked down at the webbed ball that opened up in the middle.

"Not to be rude but it's really boring. Mommy would love it because she always puts random stuff in things!" She says with a wide smile as she stuck her hand into the ball and I chuckled.

"She's kind of a whore." Marina said as she looked at another toy and Halsey choked on my coffee as I gasped at my daughter.

"Marina Michelle!" I grumbled causing her to nervously look up at me knowing I never use that tone with her, "Watch your mouth! Your mom is nothing like that-"

"Wait, wait, what is a whore Marina?" Halsey cut me off and Marina fiddled with her fingers quickly and nervously.

"Uh a person who keeps a lot of stuff for no reason." She mumbled lowly and almost sadly and Halsey started to burst out laughing.

I closed my eyes sighing in relief not wanting to tell her mother that her daughter called her a whore.

"You mean a hoarder?!" Halsey giggled deeply and Marina blushed deeply in embarrassment.

"I guess so what's a whor-"

"It's a bad word Marina." I said firmly and she covered her mouth quickly.

"I-I didn't mean to mama!" She quickly defended herself and Halsey cooed at the girl while my firm stance broke when I smiled.

"Just don't say it again mija." I said and she nodded still embarrassed at the fact she said a bad word instead of what she was going for.

"You're so cute." Halsey complimented and Marina smiled bashfully while her cheeks reddened even more.

"Thank you." She quipped nicely, "So are you." She giggled as the compliment got to her and I smiled down at my daughter.

"Where's mommy anyways? It's Saturday." Marina wondered out loud and I looked down at my watch.

"She's working on papers honey let's give her some alone time." I said to her running my hand through her wavy hair while she nodded.

"Oh Mrs. Johnson called when you were in that sales meeting - she says she's coming by today." Halsey told me as she wrote something down in her notebook.

"Okay I guess I'll try to be here when she gets here." I chuckled before going to my desk and Halsey looked at me from hers.

"Corina is coming specifically for you Ms. Jauregui." Halsey informed me and I sighed not knowing what her presence comes with.

"Okay I guess I'll definitely try to be here then." I sighed heavily and I caught Marina smiling at me which made me not so stressed.

She giggled childlike and grabbed her coloring book that was filled with different kinds of Disney movie characters. I looked down at the thick folder on my desk before opening up a long thin cylinder.