The Flying Morris Mini

Lily woke up with the opening of the car doors. She looked up.

"Hullo love," James said, leaning against the frame of the door beside her.

Remus was folding himself back in the passenger side.

Lily asked, confused, "Wait, where's Sirius?"

"We're going to get him, love," James said. "Now shove over."

"Wait, what?" Lily was still dazed from napping.

James bent down and gently shoved her across the bench seat so she was in the middle, shoulder-to-shoulder with Remus, whose narrow frame pressed to the passenger door, knees bumping the dash. James bent down, flipping onto his back on the floor beneath the wheel column and drew his wand and started poking about in the wires.

"What are you doing? If you break this car, my mum's going to kill me. She's going to kill me anyway for having taken it in the first place, but --"

"I'm modifying it, Evan," James answered and he stuck the wand up into the gap, aiming it at the electricals and boxes inside, hoping he was doing it right... Sirius had been in charge of this with the motorbike, not James, and motorbikes were a fair deal less complicated to begin with. He murmured a few spells that Lily couldn't hear...

Lily turned to Remus as James cursed, getting a shock from one of the wires. "What is he doing?" she demanded.

"Making it so your car will fly."

"Fly?" Lily's voice went quite high.

"Yes, fly."

"Like... like up there - like in the sky? Like an aeroplane?"

"Yes."

Lily stared at him, wide-eyed, unsure if she was terrified or excited.

"Alright. Let's give it a go." James jumped up and threw himself into the driver's seat, pulling the door shut and turning the key in the ignition. The car spluttered to life like it always did and Lily scrambled for the seat buckles. "Alright. Alright let's see. Um. How do I do this?"

"You don't even know how to drive?!" Lily cried.

"Hullo! Wizard! Not a Muggle!" James shouted back.

"Get out!" She pushed him, reaching over him for the door handle. "Get out!"

"Evans! We have to catch up with Sirius and --"

"I AM AWARE! But we can't catch him up if an idiot that can't even drive the bloody car is behind the wheel, obviously, it has to be somebody that can drive, you great toerag, bleeding hell!" And because he wasn't moving, she climbed over him, her legs straddling his lap for a moment and James's eyes went quite wide and she shoved him over so that he was in the middle and she rolled into place behind the wheel. Jame had one leg on each side of the gear column in the center. "Merlin's beard, I swear boys are absolute imbeciles!" she muttered and she reached for the shift stick, which James was now straddling - the gear sticking up between his knees and she grabbed the ball of it and shifted the car into first.

James stared down at the image of Lily Evans's hand between his legs. He swallowed.

And the car started forward.

"Drive about the cul-de-sac here," James said, waving his hand to indicate she loop about the little island at the end of the street, and when you've looped about we'll speed up as fast as you can go."