The Muggle Murderer

The Muggle Murderer

Ollie Kent was the only second year that came down Friday evening to the big table in the common room to study. Lily was there already, with a bag of a muggle candy called Smarties that she was pouring into a bowl for the first years to share for their first night of homework time. Remus had passed Ollie on the stairwell, rushing to get his books to join them. Ollie stood awkwardly at the end of the table, watching Lily for a moment. He cleared his throat and she looked up. "I know I'm not a first year anymore but... I can still come to homework, yeah?" he asked hopefully. It was the closest thing to a routine that he had left - especially with how down and inconsolable Wally was over Liam Harding's death.

Lily smiled, "Of course you can, Ollie." She held the bowl out to him as he sat down and spread out his stuff. "Do you want some Smarties? I reckon you're one of the only ones I won't need to explain them to. I think most of the first years are purebloods this year."

Ollie shook his head, "No thanks... I don't like the candy shell, it tastes funny."

Lily laughed, "I'll remember that next time I bring a snack."

Ollie smiled.

Danae Weiss, Madeline Finch, Janis Darrens, and Gwen Nox came down the stairs together, carrying their books, still wide-eyed about the luxury of the common room. Lily smiled at them and waved around the table and Remus arrived next, and he had a regular chocolate bar tucked in his shirt pocket and shared some with Ollie. Some of the first year boys came down snorting and goofing off, arguing over whether or not Professor Slughorn was really a fat warty toad that had been transfigured to look like a person or not - Lily looked about - they had all but one of the firsties. "Where's Edgar?" she asked.

"Says he ain't comin'," answered Hermann Bolster.

"Isn't coming," Remus corrected his English.

Lily scowled, "Why?"

"Dunno," Hermann said.

"There was a person talking on the wizard radio about his brother," said Coby Jenner quietly.

Micah King nodded, "He was real upset."

Remus and Lily met eyes. "I'll go," Remus said, pushing himself back up from the table. He handed the rest of his chocolate bar to Ollie and said, "Reckon you can put that in a safe place for me?" he winked.

"Oh - the safest," Ollie replied, grinning and taking the bar.

Remus jogged off up the stairs.

Lily sighed. "Alright - so... how are you lot liking Hogwarts so far?" she asked, looking 'round at the seven first years with a smile.

"IT'S BRILLIANT!" shouted Christopher Castle - so enthusiastic that he managed to tip over backwards off his stool and they all laughed at him as he scrambled to get back up.

Ollie stared down at his parchment. A year ago - that enthusiastic reply could've been Liam Harding's. A year ago, things were such a lot different. He wished Wally would come downstairs... or even Dexter or Darcy - but they'd gone outside to practice at flying with Dexter's new broomstick and Wally had tucked himself underneath the bed and refused to leave...

Ollie sat, wishing he was back in first year again with all of his friends in one piece. But he felt like they'd all left him. Even Wally.

Remus stood outside the first years' dormitories for a moment, staring at the door before he finally raised his fist and knocked. A quiet voice called, "Come in..."