A Play Out Of Your Book

"It's quite sad, really, that even with the Map you're going the wrong direction." Remus came up behind Sirius and fell into step beside him, grappling the air for his hand. He pulled Sirius into the turn down a corridor that Sirius had nearly missed.

Sirius smiled, "You came."

"Of course I came. I'm never going to pass up a chance to go hang about in the library with my boyfriend. Blimey, you've just described my dream date."

Sirius laughed.

"So... tell me the truth," Remus said as they walked, "Why do you want to go to the library all of a sudden? After six years of avoiding it?"

"Up to no gooood - up to no goooood! Pffbbbttt! Are my Maura-ra-ra-raduuuuuuurs up to no gooooodies?" Peeves the Poltergeist suddenly swept out through a closed classroom door, cackling, having heard their voices in the hall. As they passed the door, they could hear a good deal of smashing and banging about in there.

"Peeves, is there a room in the castle you haven't destroyed at one point in your death or another?" Remus asked.

Peeves cackled, "If Peevsy has founds it, then Peevsy has breaks it!" he spun about and hung upside down, grinning and hovering in Sirius's face. "What are my ickle bad-deed-a-deers doing this evening?" he asked.

"We're going to the library," Sirius answered.

Peeves stared. "To the library!?" he demanded, and then, "Sneaky Snoopy Sirius -- going to the li-berry!? THE LIBERRY pfbbbbbttttt."

A bit of ectoplasm flew from his tongue and onto Sirius's face.

"Sure Peeves, we got to the library all the time," Sirius answered.

"Name one time!" Peeves challenged.

Remus smirked.

"Ferfuckssakes."

"Peevesy is ohsovery disappointed!" he announced, shaking his head, "Gooooooone are the days when my Marauders were always up for no good! AH they always grow so quickly. They grow and they forget their old friend Peevsy! Go off and become teachers and ADULTS... Well Pbbbbbbbbttttt!"

Remus was still smirking.

"Well if it helps any, the reason for going to the library is no good so--" Sirius declared.

Remus looked at Sirius with a bit of concern. "It is?"

"IT BEST BE! Peevsy Peevsy - stopping Marauders trying to study! Peevsy Peevsy - keeping their minds soft as putty!" the ghost sang.

"We're not going to study, Peeves!" Sirius said.

"We aren't?" Remus asked, eyebrows raised in the question.

Sirius looked at Remus. "Merlin no! What'd you think? I'd gone daft. Of course not! Me! Studying - mad, you are."

Peeves, satisfied with this answer, blew one last raspberry, then spun off through the wall, back to the classroom he'd set to destroying.

"What are we doing then?" Remus asked then, wary, uncertain he wanted to keep moving forward...

"Research," Sirius said.

Lily sat down on the couch in the empty common room next to James Potter, tucking her legs beneath her, facing him.