Chapter 6 - Life Goes On

Ronnie

The next morning Amy sleeps in and I have a little time to myself before she wakes up. I think about yesterday evening and the dinner. All of the guys are really nice and I had a great time. I wouldn't mind doing it again.

My phone rings as I drink my coffee and I look to see whose calling. "Hi Solomon."

"Hi Ronnie. I hope I didn't wake you," he responds.

"Not at all. Thanks again for last night. I had a really good time," I scoot back in my seat and tap my fingers on the counter.

"I'm glad. I'm calling because I'm taking Megyn to the zoo today and I want to see if you and Amy would like to go with us." He sounds a little nervous.

I think about what I have to do today and it's nothing like every other Saturday for the rest of my life, "Sure, we'd love to go."

"Great! We'll pick you up in two hours. I still have to get Megyn up and ready," he discloses.

"Amy is still sleep also. She had a really good time last night. I'll see you then." We say goodbye and disconnect.

Solomon and Megyn arrive two hours later on the dot. I move Amy's booster seat to his car and we get them settled inside. I get into the front seat and he takes off. "Where are we going?" Amy asks.

"You'll see," I say mysteriously.

"Oh! Like last night?" She asks.

"Yep."

"Are we going to Uncle Tyler's restaurant for dinner?" Megyn asks.

"Not now, but maybe later," Solomon taps his fingers on the steering wheel to the music on the radio.

We keep the question and answer session with the girls all the way to the zoo. When they see the sign when we drive through, they both squeal in excitement. We have to chastise them for running off without us when we let them out of the car. We finally get inside and decide our route.

While the girls look at the animals, we look at them and talk. It's so relaxing to talk to him. "Where's Megyn's mother?"

His voice lowers when he answers me, "She died from complications of childbirth. I've had her since the day she was born."

"Were you in a relationship long?" I decide to pry a little more.

He moves closer to me and his voice gets even lower, "Megyn was the product of a one night stand. For some reason I decided to leave my telephone number with her. She called me a couple of months later, and told me she was pregnant. I told her that I would be there for her and my child. I did get to know her and we became great friends. When she went into labor, it took me awhile but I got there. She told me that I'll need to take care of the baby. It was like she knew something. The next thing I knew, she was going into cardiac arrest and they had to take the baby. She didn't make it, but Megyn did."

He stops and takes a deep breath. I watch him collect himself before he continues, "I stayed at the hospital with Megyn for two days, before they released her. I tried to take her home when her grandparents arrived at the hospital demanding that she be released to them. The hospital wouldn't release her to either of us and the child services got involved immediately. They rushed a paternity test and it took another two days before we could get the results. Of course, it showed me as her father. I was able to show that I'm financially able to take care of her and the nurses at the hospital vouched for me. They told them that I hadn't left the hospital since the day she was born. But what none of them knew was that blood relative or not, she was mine from the second I held her in my arms. I was able to take her home that day."