Chapter 13 - Peace at Last and Unexpected Apologies

Ronnie

We make quick work of the dishes and go back out to the dining room where Tyler and Frankie are sitting across from each other talking. I find a chair next to him and move to sit down, but he grabs me and pulls me in his lap and everyone else finds seats around us. Meg sits in Frankie's lap while Amy sits in Dylan's. We make plans for the evening and have some idle chitchat until finally the doors open and everyone comes out of the room, following our grandfather's.

Our Father's faces look strained and they don't even glance in our direction as they head straight towards the door. Tyler stands and follows them to the door, unlocking it so they can leave. Our grandfather's come over and sits across from us and waits for Tyler to relock the door and join us.

He lifts me again and sits down, settling me on his lap. He pulls me close and I relax back into him. Grandfather looks around at all of us and starts, "We threatened them with shutting them completely out of the firm if they continue this behavior," they glance at me, "We're sorry that you had to go through all of this with them. It won't happen again." I give them a smile. They are too good to me.

They give Frankie an affectionate gaze, "We know that you dealt with all of them for us and we appreciate it. From now on, only invite who you want to come and then not so many that you're overwhelmed." She smiles and reaches for Grandfather A's hand squeezing it.

"Thank you so much. I don't mind them coming, I just don't want to deal with the bullshit." She cringes, "Forgive my French."

"Don't worry about it. You couldn't have said it more eloquently. We're sorry that you had to go through all of that." Grandfather R says.

Frankie bestows a gentle smile to them, "I would do anything for you. You helped me so much since I've known you. How is Mabel doing?"

"She's doing wonderful. We're having dinner with Manuel and Angel tomorrow. They'll be able to tell you more about what's going on. Hasn't Mabel told you anything?" Grandfather A asks.

"She just says that they're up and running. You know how Mabel is," Frankie rolls her eyes. There's a chuckle from everyone.

"We're going to head in, we won't wait up for you. We can take the girls if you all want to do something else," Grandfather R offers.

I start to refuse when Solomon thanks them for the offer and tells them we'll take them up on it. The girls cheer and jump up hugging us all, before gathering their things and joining our grandfather's at the door. Tyler gets up again, this time sitting me in Solomon's lap and goes to the door, letting out our girls and grandfather's.

I turn to Dylan, "How will they get inside of the house?"

"We gave them a key. They won't give it to anyone else or let anyone inside," he assures me.

"Why did you let the girls go with them?" Frankie asks Solomon. I feel his smile on the top of my head.

"We have a surprise for you two," Dylan lifts Frankie and puts her in his lap.

"Really? What is it?" Frankie asks.

Tyler rejoins us and stops any other answers, "You'll find out shortly." They make sure that Frankie and I stay seated while they move the tables and chairs back the way that Tyler had them. It always amazes me every time we come here how this reminds me so much of home. The cushiony couches, loveseats and chairs look so comfortable. There are even ottomans and a few recliners. I tell Tyler this and he smiles in pride.