Chapter 19 - Why?

Ronnie

It's the first week of April and my men have just informed me that Meg's birthday is next week. Now I'm in a hurry to shop for her and figure out what we're going to do for celebration. I guess it's my fault because I haven't asked about any birthdates at all. I remedy that by getting everyone's birthday written down in my date book, my phone and on my computer.

Meg asks for a slumber-party, but we're unable to prepare one in such a short time, so we compromise with her and tell her that we'll have one for her at the end of the school year. I hurry and get some invitations and we set up a party at the nearest pizza place.

Most of their classmates RSVP immediately which makes her very happy. We make some gift bags with some candy and a few toys inside. Luckily for us, the pizza place supplies birthday hats and horns.

When the day of the party comes, we have managed to get everything together. We arrive at the pizza place and finish setting up the area that they have assigned to us. Right when we finish the children and their parents start to arrive. Before we know it, the party is in full swing.

Beth brought all of her kids to this party and I don't mind at all. They are a good bunch of kids and very respectful. Her son approaches me and asks if he can speak with me alone for a minute. I excuse myself from the group of parents that I'm speaking with and follow him to a quiet spot, where we can see everyone and they can see us.

"What can I do for you?" I ask him.

"I just want to say thank you for being so nice to us. Because of you, my mom and dad are nicer to each other and love each other again," he states.

"Don't thank me for being nice to you. You deserve it. As for your mom and dad, they did that themselves, not me."

He shakes his head adamantly, "My dad told me that he took the advice that you gave him and talked to my mom. They were able to talk everything out and fix what was wrong with them. He said if not for you, they may have gotten a divorce. I'm glad that they didn't."

I smile down at him, "Okay. I accept your thanks." It's just easier. He nods his head happy that he accomplished what he set out to do and walks away.

I turn to go back to the crowd when I come face to face with Beth. She doesn't look mad, just a little curious, "What does he want with you?"

"He just wanted to thank me for being so nice to him at the mall that day." I leave the other part out.

She nods, "I need to say thank you also. I was kind of scared to approach you before now, because of how I treated you when you first came here. I was feeling neglected because my husband worked all of the time and I was left at home with the kids. After I finished cleaning the house and got dinner together, there was nothing to do, so I was just there."

She shifts to the other foot and continues, "When my husband forced me to sit down and talk to him, I was able to voice my feelings and we figured out together what needed to be done. We now have a date night once a week and I decided to find a part time job or find a few places to volunteer. Things are so much better now. I feel like there's more of a purpose to my life now. I'm glad that I wasn't being a bitch to just be a bitch. It's just sad."

I laugh, "Some people love doing it just to do it."

She nods again with a smile on her face, "I know a few of them." Her face gets serious again, "I do want to apologize again for the way I treated you. You didn't deserve it. Even when I acted the way I did in the mall, you were still nice to my children and that displays class. You definitely set an example for me that day. Thank you."