Chapter 26 - The Trip

Just adding a warning to this one.  It may have triggers.  The paragraph is marked with -&&-.

Ronnie

Dylan, Rand and Cameron apologized to Frankie until she finally told them to shut-up. I think that they don't realize that she needs that reassurance every now and then about what they are doing or what's going on with them. My guys apologized to me because they didn't think to text me to tell me where they are. They just wanted to give us an evening where they don't bother us when we are out.

Dylan calls and asks if he and I could have dinner together. I haven't spent any time with him in a while, so I happily accept.

I kiss my girls and guys and leave the house. Dylan is in the driveway waiting for me. We get inside of the car and he takes me to a small out of the way diner type restaurant. After we are seated and my order taken, he asks me, "I bet you're wondering why I asked you out to dinner."

"I just thought that we haven't spent any time together in a while and you just wanted to hang out."

"That's partly true, but I also wanted to check in on you and see how you are doing. I know it can be hard sometimes, but I didn't really think of it until our flub last week with Frankie. I just want to get you alone to see how you are really doing. Is everything working out with you all?" He reaches across and takes my hand.

"It is. Right now, it's usually just a time thing. We haven't had a lot of other difficulties. The girls love each other and us. Right now, it's a completely ideal situation. I know that if something comes up, they'll talk to me about it and I will do the same for them. I really do love them to distraction." I tell him.

"I know that you're different from Frankie. She had to learn herself and what she is capable of accomplishing in her life. She's so different from when we first met her, that we forget sometimes that she still needs that reassurance sometimes and we definitely should have texted her to at least let her know where we were and what we were doing." He says.

"You should have. I was kind of worried myself when I didn't hear from any of them. I didn't even think that you all were together. So if I got a little worried, just think of what Frankie thought. She tried to hide it, but she was petrified. I tried to get her to come over to our house, but she wouldn't hear of it. That's why you got the texts from me," I lean back in my seat.

"Thanks for that by the way. We needed to know. But we've talked enough about Frankie. I want to see how you are holding up with our parents?" He leans forward in the booth.

The waiter drops off our food and I take a bite of mine as he walks away. I finish chewing while I consider what he asks me. "I'm taking it as it comes. They've done too much damage for me just to accept them blindly and completely. I'm sitting back and watching their actions."

"That's what I thought. We are taking your lead on this. The only way that we'll talk to them is if you do. They won't cross Frankie anymore since she has to power to keep them away forever. They need to know that you have that power also. We are a united front and we will not let them in without being upright like they're supposed to be." He takes a bite of his food.

"Thanks. We'll see what happens."

We talk and catch up during dinner and by the time we leave, we're both more relaxed. I'm glad that we had this dinner. I definitely needed to reconnect with my brother. The ride back is done with small, idle conversation. He drops me off at my front door and then drives around and pulls into his garage. I love that they live so close to us. The girls see Frankie and my brothers more than we do.