Chapter Sixteen

William sat down on the bench placed at the end of the ICU,where Ansela had been wheeled off to. It's been well over an hour and there was no sign of the doctor or any nurse coming out of the ICU.

He stood up and tucked his hand in the pocket of his jeans. As he paced to and fro,his parents watched him with worried expression on their faces. William felt as if he was responsible for what happened to Ansela.

If only he was at home and not at Cassie's,maybe it wouldn't have come to this.

Ansela had been breathing difficultly when they arrived at the hospital. William,in his twenty-nine years on earth, has never see anyone breath difficultly or have a swollen ankle from the flu. Which made William realise that something else not the flu, happened to his sister.

"Son."

William looked over his shoulder to see his father standing behind him. He stopped pacing and turned to face Steven.

"You need to stop pacing,you are making your mother more worried than before." Steven gestured to where Arabella was sitting,her pain evident on her face.

William sighed. "I want to comfort her,but I can't. I'm not even in my right mind now,but I'll....." He trailed off when he saw the doctor who had gone in with Ansela,standing at the entrance.

The three of them met him halfway, just as the doctor removed his head covering. William allowed his eyes to travel the length of him and saw flecks of blood on the green paper coverings of his shoes. Annie's blood, he knew instinctively.

"What happened to Annie?"

"How is she?"

"Is she alright?"

The doctor blinked at the questions they all fired at him. He cleared his throat as he tucked his hand into the pocket of his green scrubs.

"I am doctor Greene," The doctor said."Miss Mckade is unconscious at the moment and I can't assure you that she's out of danger yet. Her fibula,that is the outer bone of the two bones between the knee and ankle,has shifted a bit from it's position. Which means that she would have be in a wheel chair until her bone is back to it's position."

"Is that why she fainted?" William inquired.

"Miss Mckade inhaled Ethylene and it went straight to her brain and lungs." Dr Greene shook his head. "It blocked her lungs and went into her brain. We had to operate on her lungs so she could breath. After series of test we discovered that Miss Mckade has a very weak heart. Her pulse was failing and thank God you brought her in on time."

Or she would have died.

Tension hung in the air at the unspoken word. William fisted his hands at his side as guilt and anger consumed him. He hitched to hit something or someone.

"That girl is so stupid." Steve grunted."what did she do? Drink the Ethylene?"

William roared and punched the wall behind him. Blood coated the wall from the several cuts in his hand. "Shut the hell up father!"

Steven narrowed his eyes at William who was leaning against the wall with his injured hand still on the wall. Arabella gasped at the sight of the blood dripping on the floor.

"William." Arabella rushed to his side but was careful enough not to touch him. "Are you alright? My God look at you,you're bleeding!"

"First Ansela and now you?" Steven scoffed. "Who's next? Kaden? I've had enough trouble in my lifetime and you children want to give me another one?"