Chapter Twenty-Six

Cassie's outfit above.

___________________________________

Kaden parked his car in the hospital parking lot beside the black van,which surprisingly had a dark tinted glass. He thought he saw a movement inside but he ignored it and turned to face Cassie who was still avoiding his gaze.

At first,he thought that maybe she was like that because she just woke up,but by now it was beginning to get weird. He wondered why she was acting so strange and jittery.

He smiled at her choice of outfit, which suited her properly. She was wearing a white jean hot pant,paired it with a peach coloured spaghetti singlet,a knee length off white long sleeved jacket and completed it her white sneakers. She wore a little bit of make up and no jewelry at all. He could only describe how she looked in two words.

Beautiful. unique.

Kaden felt his heart swell with pride at the fact that she belonged to him for five years. William or any other man would not have her,not while she was with him anyway. He knew that he didn't love her, but he felt possessive of her. He felt like carving his name on her fore head just to let others know that she was taken.

Kaden almost smiled at that thought. He imagined that Cassie would fight him every step of the way if he dare suggest that to her.

"Kade?"

Kaden frowned when he saw that she had got out of the car and was waiting for him. Without a word he also got out of the car and locked it. He tried holding her eye but she quickly averted it and started towards the hospital entrance without him.

What was wrong with her? Did he do something to offend her?

Kaden had to jog to meet up with her. By then she had entered the reception and was heading towards the escalator. Kaden bid his time, by waiting for them to step on the escalator before speaking.

"Cassie,is everything alright?" He grasped her elbow when they stepped of the escalator at the top floor.

"Yes." She snatched her elbow from him as if electrocuted by his touch. "Let's not dally,we came here for a reason."

"I'll let this go for now." He promised her as they both walked off In the direction to his sister's former ward.

An hour later,Kaden stood in the middle of the room looking quite tired and a little bit angry. They had searched every nook and cranny in the ward and yet they came up with nothing.

Nada. Zilch.

He rolled his eyes when Cassie began to check all over again. Women can be so stubborn at times. Didn't he tell her that the police had combed the entire room and came up with nothing?

Trust women to make sure that they see it with their own eyes before they believe it. Right now,all he wanted to do was go and see how his sister's doing,then go back home to loose himself in Cassie. Which was what he was going to do right now.

"Cassie,did you find anything?" He tucked his hand in the pocket of his black jeans.

"No,you?" She joined him in the middle of the room,eyes still scanning the entire room.

"Nada."

"But why do I have this feeling that it's here?"

"It's just a feeling,Cassie." He said in exasperation. "Everyone gets it once in a while."

"I am always right,Kade." Cassie walked out of the room and began to check the hall way floor and wall for any sign.

Kaden followed her out,all the while trying to hold back his irritation. "You're as stubborn as a mule." He followed her.

"And you're not?" She rolled her eyes.

Kaden waited for another five minute,before grabbing her arm. He whirled her around so that she was facing him.

"This is ending right now." He said firmly,his eyes daring her to argue.

"And you..." Cassie looked beyond his shoulder and a soft gasp escaped her lips.

"What is it?" He looked over his shoulder but found nothing.

Cassie shrugged off his hold,side stepped him and headed towards the fire extinguisher cylinder on the wall behind Kaden. She peered closely at it and gasp again.

"Kade,I've found the proof." She pointed at the side of the cylinder.

Kaden joined her,prepared to drag her away,but when he saw what she was pointing at,he forgot all about it. She had indeed found the proof,because the side of the cylinder was coated with red,which was undoubtedly blood. If one didn't look carefully,it would be missed.

The blood blended in with the red coloured cylinder but on a closer look one could detect the stain on it. Cassie was right.

"You were right." Kaden hugged her,surprising the both of them.

"I always am." Cassie pulled back from their embrace. "Call the police now."

Kaden reached into his pocket and came up empty. "I left my phone in the car. Are you with yours?"

"No. I left it at home,the battery was flat when I woke up this morning so I had to charge it." Cassie bit her lower lip. "What would we do?"

"Why don't we go to the reception together?"

"We can't leave this here." Cassie pointed at the cylinder.

"We can't touch it either." He stole a glance at it. "Okay,let's do it this way. You stay here and I'll go and make the call. How's that?"

"Fine."

"Don't go anywhere." He kissed her forehead,then set off in a light jog.

Kaden had almost made it to the escalator when he bumped into someone. They both lost their balance and fell on each other,with Kaden taking the full impact of the fall. He groaned when he heard a loud snap. He prayed that that was not his spinal chord taking a leave of absence.

The person,who happens to be a female, got up with a groan. Kaden got up too after confirming that his spinal chord was still attached and functioning. He looked up to apologize to the woman but when he saw her face,whatever apology he was about to make died on his lips.

"Skylar?"

~^~^~^~^~^

Cassie leaned against the wall and closed her eyes. She felt like a fool all over again at the way she was behaving around Kaden.
He was beginning to suspect something and that didn't bode well for her. Cassie knew without any doubt that if he come to know how she felt about him,he would come to despise her. He might never want to see her and right now,she didn't want that.

So she told herself that she would just accept anything he offered her without any complaint. He desired her,that was enough.

Cassie frowned when she realised that he was gone longer than usual. What was keeping him?

Cassie heard a sound. She opened her eyes and wished that she hadn't. A gun was pointed at her forehead and by the look of it,it was no toy. She gulped nervously. When did they get here?

It was then she realised another thing. The lights were out,the only light in the dark passage came in form of a pen sized torch,which was directed at her face and made the gun visible.

"Hello,miss detective."

Cassie knew that voice. She had to warn Kaden,she thought of the way to do that. A scream should alert anyone near by.

The person must have seen what she wanted to do,because one minute Cassie opened her mouth to scream,the next the bottom of the gun came down hard on her head.

As Cassie fell forward the last thing she thought about was Kaden and prayed that he was save.