A Friend

Demi's P.O.V.

I hesitated for a moment over what to do, then noticed the paparazzi starting to take pictures from across the street and I groaned, pulling Miley inside the house and I shut the door as quietly as I could.

"If this is going to end in another fight, I'd rather we wait in uncomfortable silence until Jazzy wakes up, she didn't sleep very well last night because of the storm and-" Miley cut me off, giving me a small smile as she shook her head a little bit.

"I hope it won't. You can kick me out whenever you want, I just wanted to get some things off of my chest then I'll leave... I promise." Miley assured me and I nodded my head, heading into the living room and picking up the baby monitor before motioning for her to lead the way to the kitchen. She sat down at the island as I set the baby monitor down on the counter. "Is Nick not here?" Miley asked, looking around with an eyebrow raised. I noticed her smile at a couple of pictures I had up in frames of Jasmine or of them just pinned onto the noticeboard that used to have recipes on it. Most of the pictures were sonogram pictures, but some were of her since she'd been born. Of her with my family or Nick's family or with Nick and me. My favorite was in a frame on the windowsill by the sink, so I could look at it when I did the washing up. It was of Jasmine fast asleep on my chest with my arms around her. Nick took it and I didn't even realize that picture even existed until he put it up on Twitter to introduce Jasmine to the world. I printed it out and framed it because I loved the picture so much.

"He's in some business meeting but he's coming over later to see Jazzy and we're gonna have dinner together." I said, pulling myself up so I was sat on the counter. I was still a little sore between my legs, but it was more like a dull ache than a full-on pain. My bump was gone now. It was strange to be able to see my feet again. "Is that the only reason you're here?" I asked, wanting her to just get to the point so I could relax and maybe take a nap. Mom said I should be sleeping when Jasmine sleeps and so far, Miley's the only one keeping me up.

"No... I wanted to apologize... I shouldn't have suggested that you start drinking and taking drugs to numb the pain, that was really stupid. I never meant to hurt you or to sacrifice our friendship. If I knew I was going to lose you because of this, I never would have done it... you're my best friend, Dems and I love you to death and I want to be there for you when you need a babysitter or a shoulder to cry on... or a shopping buddy." Miley said with a soft, hopeful smile. I still didn't know what to say. In a very big way, I wanted to forgive her. I really wanted to. Miley spoke again before I could say anything in response to her. "I'm going to need a maid of honor." She said in a sing-song voice and my face broke out into a wide smile.

"Liam proposed?" I asked and Miley rushed over to me to show me the ring. I laughed and hugged her tight, staying on the counter and she hugged me back just as tight. "I forgive you... I could have said no, but I didn't." I mumbled, realizing that Miley had been right all along when she yelled back at me after I pretty much blamed her for everything. We pulled away after a minute and Miley smiled at my favorite picture of Jasmine.

"She's so beautiful! I can't believe she has so much hair already." Miley said and I laughed, nodding my head.

"Yeah, you should see her in the bath. She loves it and you end up drenched because she kicks her legs so much." I told her and Miley laughed with me. I missed moments like this. Selena had come to see me in the hospital a few times, since as I refused to leave when Jasmine was still there, but other than that I hadn't really heard from her. I saw online and in magazines that she was still hanging out with Taylor and I didn't really know how to feel about that. I love Taylor, she's a good person and everything... but Selena was MY best friend first. Selena was more like a sister to me than a best friend and now I just feel like I've lost her. Again. I was brought back to reality though as Miley started to tell me the story of how Liam proposed and we just caught up with everything that the other one missed.

(Story and characters are not mine)