Ice cold water

Dennis was talking to himself this morning.  I spent the night in his room, in his bed.   I pretended to sleep.    He was hush so he wouldn't wake me. 

"Dennis you're slacking." Patricia said in a disappointed tone.

"I know.  I know.   I have more girls picked out.   I can grab them all tomorrow.  I have three that's a start.  Cut me some slack every police officer is on the look out for me." He said and I kept my eyes closed but listened.  

There is three in the basement now.  It's been a week since he took the last one.   Rebecca.   She's small and blonde.  She's only 13.  They all trust me to save them.  

Dennis finished his conversation with himself as he went into the bathroom.   Today would be the day that I had to save those girls.   I know I probably wouldn't get away.  They would be safe at least.  

I got up and got dressed.   I brought the girls breakfast while Dennis showered.  They still had their shoes which was good.  He probably didn't think to take them since they were going to be locked in his basement.  

"Hey.    Today is the day. " I said hushed.  

"What are you going to do casey?" Rebecca asked.  

"We are gonna climb out the window and run.   I've done it before but that was just me.  If I go with you than he'll catch me.  Not you." 

"If he catches up with one of you, keep running.   Don't turn back for anyone.   Not even your sister." I said and eyed the siblings.     "I gotta go I can here him upstairs.  He's done showing." I quickly ran up.

I went back upstairs and locked them in.  
-------------

Dennis came down after he showered.  I made him bacon and eggs for breakfast.  

"You know I like that blonde hair of yours.   It looks good on you." He said.  I dyed my hair two nights ago just like he wanted.  I put it off for a couple days but here I am now.   A blonde.   I twisted my hair between my fingers.  

"Thank you dennis." I smiled.   "What are your plans for today?" I asked sitting across from him.  

"I'm going into town.   I have some research to do. " He said quietly as he took his napkin and folded it across his lap.  He grabbed his fork to eat and gave me a smile.

-----------

Dennis left and I knew what I had to do.  The second his car left I ran to his room.  He took the sheets from mine and screwed my window shut. 

I opened his window and made that rope out of sheets again and moved his bed to the  window and tied the sheet to the frame and tossed it out the window. 

I ran downstairs to the basement.  

"Listen you won't have long.  I don't know when he's coming back. "   I said and grabbed the youngest girls hand and led them all upstairs.  I climbed out first.   I slid my body out the window frame and grabbed the sheet.   Here we go again.   I only had socks on since he took my shoes. My feet kept sliding against the side of the house.    My body kept slamming into the wall everyth me my foot slipped.  I got to the ground.  It was cold even with socks on. 

I waited for each girl and then led them a different way than I ran last time.   

I told them to head straight and go ahead of me.   I limped after them the siblings were faster than me and Rebecca.   I lost sight of two of the girls.   

"Casey!" I heard a scream.   Why was he home already?!

-------------

Dennis po

On my way out of the driveway Patricia started a fight.  She told me I  needed to get the girls now.   I was far behind in the plans. She said she would have Hedwig help her take over if I didn't step up.  

I turned around to go home.  I had to get the chloroform spray to grab the girls.

I drove into the driveway and my heart dropped.  I saw the sheets on the side of the house blowing in the breeze like a flag.    Anger took over me.  How could She? She left again? She can't get to far with that leg of hers.   

"Casey!" I screamed angrily.  

---------------

I kept running.   I didn't think he'd be back. 

"Rebecca run faster." I cried.  I knew he'd catch up in no time.  

"Casey!" I heard a scream.  That didn't sound like Dennis.   I heard that voice before.    That voice came from the man who bent those bars, and told me I was pure.   I heard his screaming grow closer.   Could he hunt us down by scent? Could that beast track us so easily.  

I looked to see Rebecca fall.  Shit shit shit.  This was all going to hell so quickly.    I stopped to Rebecca. 

"My ankel." She cried.  I pulled her up and pulled her arm around me and started running.  My feet hurt with every rock, stick, and whatever else I stepped on.  I ignored it the best I could.   I needed to save Rebecca.   The sisters were gone.  I couldn't see them thank god.   

We got to a river and I saw that there was a log. That's what the others probably used to get over. 

"Rebecca.    You go first." I said and she crawled uo.   She limped across and I let her hold my hand so she wouldn't fall.   I looked back and saw Dennis.  Well not dennis.  The large frame was shirtless and vainy.   His muscles were large and he was sweaty.  He looked angry.  He looked evil.  I shuffled across the log  "Rebecca! Hurry!" I screamed.   She tried to shuffle faster.   She slipped.  

Rebecca slipped and pulled me down with her into the icy water.   The river was deeper than I expected.   Stronger too.  The current pulled us under.  I held her hand tight and didn't let go.   I hit my head on something.  A rock maybe and my vision went blurry.    I still held her hand.    My mouth opened against my will as my lungs craved air.  Water flew in and my chest burned and was tight.   I squeezed my eyes shut.   Everything was going numb. The water was to cold.   It was like a thousand knives stabbing at me.   I felt Rebecca's hand go limp.   I tried kicking and swimming with my other arm.  I couldn't get my head above the surface.     I could feel my heart beat in my entire body.  

I felt someone grab me, but I passed out before I could see who.  It was probably him though.  He probably wanted to finish the job. 

---------

I woke up with Dennis over me.  His mouth to mine.   I chocked up water as I saw him.  My lungs burned.    I looked around and saw Rebecca.    I moved to see her.  She wasn't moving.  I was weak but did my best to press her chest.  Dennis tried to pull me away but I pushed him.   I cried.  I sat there defeated.  I had no energy to help her. 

"She's dead." He said coldly.   "It's your fault." He said and I just held her and fell back and cried.  I couldn't save her.  I told her I would.  I failed.  

Dennis pulled her body from me and tossed her into the river.  

"No!" I cried and crawled over as best I could.   I grabbed his leg trying to stop him.  She deserves better.  

I coughed and puked.  My lungs still burned and I was still weak.    I cried and curled up on the ground.  Dennis grabbed my leg and started dragging me.   I closed my eyes and everything went black.