Chapter 13

It's Sunday now and I think I should meet up with Farkle.

He's been great to me ever since he's been trying to make up for the bullying. I need to let him know that this isn't his fault.

I managed to get his number, don't ask how because I honestly don't remember, and I guess I should text him.

Hey, I type deciding to start of lightly.

I get a reply within seconds.

Riley?

Yeah, I say back, I was wondering if you would like to hangout today.

I stare at the screen wondering if I went too bold. I mean, I barely know the guy, and he thinks that he's the reason I jumped. I mean he's not the reason, but he's definitely added on to the list in the past. There's nothing he can do for that now and I get it. He's trying and I need to try too.

My phone vibrates in my hand and I check it.

Sure. Want me to just go to your place?

I smile. It's weird because Farkle has only been to my house once, yet he knows where it is just fine. That sounds good to me.

Okay be there in 15.

I'm already dressed and my room is clean, so I just have to tell my parents.

I go to their room and knock. They let me in and I tell them, "Farkle's coming over. Is that okay?"

They look at each other tiredly, but try to smile when they look to me. "Of course," my mom replies.

I nod and am about to go to the living room to wait when my dad stops me.

"Riley, I don't think we ever told you that we used to be friends with Farkle's parents," my father says with a happy, distant look on his face.

I look at him surprised. "Really? How come I never met him before?"

My mom looks at me confused. "He came to a few of your parties when you were younger, but you guys never seemed to click. I'm not sure why, I guess it's different when you're younger."

I look at my parents and smile. "Yeah, maybe it worked out for the best."

My parents look at each other as if I were crazy and I walk out. Maybe things would've been a lot better if we had always been friends. Maybe not. I'll never know.

I hear a buzz and run to buzz Farkle up.

After a few moments he knocks and I open the door for him. We awkwardly stare at each other unsure of what to say. I'm so used to closing off everything and hiding how I feel because of how people will react and judge, but I don't think I can be that person anymore.

Farkle looks like he's about to ask if he can come in, instead I hug him.

For some reason it feels long overdue.

My arms loop over his shoulders and around his neck. My face buried in his chest as a silent thank you.

His arms lace around my waist holding me in place to that moment. Almost as if he was afraid I would disappear.

Hopefully I never will again.