Chapter 1

Note: This book used to be called Newt and Tina but I decided to change it because it's not much of a name. However, the story is still the same. I also wrote this story before The Crimes of Grindelwald existed so nothing is accurate.

Newt looked around his room for the last time. Everything was the same as it had been when he was in school. The walls were covered in the same grey wallpaper, the bed was covered in the same white sheets. The only thing that hadn't been there was the little book that was sitting on his dresser. This he scooped up and dumped into his pocket. 

He hesitated before picking up his case. Pulling the book out of his pocket he read the title, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. He stared at it for a bit and wondered for the thousandth time whether or not he had made the right decision in using Tina's title suggestion. I didn't have a better one, he told himself firmly. Then he looked inside to the dedication page.

This book is dedicated to:

Jacob Kowalski, who willingly gave up his knowledge of magic for the protection of wizardkind

Queenie Goldstein, who is always willing to help and always knows what to say

Tina Goldstein, without whom I doubt this book would exist

Newt shoved the book back in his pocket, picked up his case, and slipped out of his room before he could change his mind. He crept down the hall, hoping to leave without anyone noticing. 

Just when he had reached the door he heard his mother's voice calling, "Newt?"

"Yes, mother?" Newt said, turning around.

"Did you really think you were going to leave without saying goodbye?" she asked.

"I had hoped so," he replied teasingly.

"I still don't understand why you want to leave just before your book is published," she said. "Are you trying to escape the publicity?"

"No, I have to deliver a copy to some friends of mine."

"Female friends?" she teased.

Refusing to give in to her teasing, Newt said, "Two witches, one of whom was unfortunate enough to fall in love with a no-maj--" his mother raised her eyebrows, "I mean, Muggle man." Newt had found himself always referring to Jacob as a 'No-Maj'.

"How is that unfortunate?" his mother asked.

"Well MACUSA has very different laws about Muggle/Wizard relations," Newt explained. "Many American Muggles are very against the idea of wizards and witches living in the same place."

"Ah," she said. "And the other witch."

Newt struggled not to blush as he remembered the feel of her hair and skin when he had tucked a loose strand behind her ear, and he remembered the tears in her eyes as they were saying goodbye, and the way her voice had caught in her throat. 

"Don't go getting married without telling me first," Newt's mother scolded.

"I promise that if I get engaged, you will be the first to know," he answered. Except for Queenie, he thought. 

"Good boy," she said. Then she lowered her voice, "Between you and me, I've always liked you better than Theseus . . ."

"Then again, I've always liked the hippogriffs best," they finished together. 

"Goodbye, Newt," his mother said, hugging him. "Stay safe."

"I will, mother," he answered before picking up his case and walking out the door.

"And don't forget your promise," she called after him.

"I won't, mother," Newt called over his shoulder. He thought of Tina again and how she had been close to tears the last time he saw her.

Stop it, Newt, he thought. You're acting as if you love Tina when you barely know her. She probably isn't even thinking about you. . . . Does she ever think about me?

I didn't let them know I was coming, he realized. I'll have to write a letter once I'm on the boat.

And with those thoughts, he apparated to the docks to board the boat that would take him to New York and to his friends.