Chapter 18

Tina pulled herself to her feet. 

"Come on, Newt," she said. "Queenie and Jacob will be here soon."

They stood up moved around the room, waving their wands to remove all signs of magic. They had just slipped their wands back into their pockets when they heard a tap on the door. Tina motioned for Newt to go into her room. She assumed it was Queenie warning her that she was here but she wasn't going to risk it being Mrs. Esposito.

Tina walked over to the door and opened it.

"Tina!" Queenie shrieked. She rushed forward and wrapped her arms around her sister. "I was so worried."

"I'm sorry, Queenie," Tina whispered. "I'm alright now. You don't have to worry."

She looked over Queenie's shoulder at Newt who had emerged from his room and was talking with Jacob. She smiled at Newt. 

Suddenly, Queenie gasped and pushed Tina back. "Tina!" she squealed. "I can't believe it! Finally, after all this time. I'm so happy for--"

Tina had realized what Queenie meant and had clapped her hand over her sister's mouth. Her face was bright red.

"Watch it, Queenie. We've got company," she hissed. "No reading minds in the presence of a No-Maj."

Queenie pulled Tina's hand away from her mouth. "Sorry. Let me go get supper ready."

Tina moved to start setting the table. It was awkward work without using magic. She was grateful to Newt when he stepped in and started helping her.

"Thank you, Newt," she whispered.

"You're welcome. We never seem to realize that we're spoilt because of magic until we're forced to do things the Muggle way."

"You said No-Maj earlier."

"I don't know what to say. I'm used to saying Muggle but I only ever hear No-Maj now. I just say what's in my head at the time. I don't think about it."

"I've made up my mind," Tina whispered firmly.

"About what?"

"I want Jacob to remember. He makes Queenie so happy and he was a great friend."

Newt and Tina sat down on opposite sides of the table, in the same places they had sat the day they first met. Queenie set the food on the table and sat down in her chair. She motioned to Jacob who sat down in the fourth chair.

Queenie and Jacob talked throughout the meal. Tina watched Newt and smiled at him when he looked up at her. Every now and then, Queenie would give Tina a knowing grin. 

Shut up, Queenie. 

Eventually, Tina gave her sister a gentle kick. 

"Hey!"

"Just please stop it, Queenie."

Queenie left her alone for the rest of the meal. When they were done eating, Jacob looked up at Queenie. "Thank you. This was delicious. This is probably the greatest meal I've ever had."

Queenie paled slightly. "Thank you."

Tina looked up at Newt. He was watching Jacob with a curious expression on his face.

Jacob looked around the room. "You know, this place feels familiar. I feel like I've been here before, like in a dream or something, but it was a bit different."

"Different, how?" Tina asked nervously. 

"I'm not sure."

Queenie stood up and cleared the table. "Thank you for coming, Jacob," she said. "It's good to have you . . ." She trailed off and bent her head slightly over the sink. Tina realized she was struggling not to cry.