Chapter 3

Newt stood by the railing of the ship as it pulled into the dock. He looked around for short brown hair but there seemed to be hundreds of people with it. He walked off the ship and handed his passport to the officer. He switched his case to Muggle Worthy then showed the man what was inside it. 

Walking past the man, Newt looked around to see if Tina was around. Maybe she didn't come, he thought. Maybe she didn't want to see me. Maybe she never wants to see me again.

Suddenly, Newt was struggling to keep his balance having just been hit by something, or rather, someone. He looked down to see Tina, her arms wrapped around him in a tight hug. Newt managed to free the hand that wasn't holding the case and return the hug.

Tina pulled back, her face red. "Sorry, Newt," she said. "I shouldn't have done that."

"No, it's OK," Newt assured her.

They both stood there in an awkward silence, looking at their shoes.

"It's . . ." Tina started.

"I'm . . ." Newt said at the same time. "Sorry."

"Go on."

"No, you go first."

"It's good to see you, Newt," Tina said, blushing again.

"I'm glad to see you too," Newt said.

"Now, what were you going to say?"

"I just said it," Newt said, grinning sheepishly.

"Oh."

There was another long pause. The people on the dock had mostly left.

"Well," said Tina. "Why don't we go home, Queenie's dying to see you."

"Uh, yes," Newt replied.

They set off down the wharf to find a safe place to apparate.

"So how's Jacob?" Newt asked. "Or have you not seen him recently."

"Queenie's been down to his bakery several times," Tina said. "She's brought back some of his pastries, their delicious but a little . . . unusual. I think you'd enjoy them."

"Really?"

"Uh huh."

"And does he remember anything?"

"Queenie says he looks at her like he trying to remember something he's forgotten and, as I said, his pastries are unusual. I'd like him to remember, for Queenie's sake. She's heartbroken. The only problem is MACUSA'll just obliviate him again if he remembers anything and they find out." Tina paused. "Why do you ask?"

"Well," Newt looked embarrassed. "I've been thinking. Swooping evil venom removes bad memories but not necessarily happy memories. Jacob had plenty of happy memories of magic. You, me, my creatures, and of course, Queenie. The venom shouldn't have erased all that."

"But the rest of the No-Maj's?"

"The only experience they had with magic was a flying, destructive, black mass. I don't think that's a good memory. The venom would have taken care of that completely. Don't worry."

Tina looked around. "Come on," she said, pulling him into an alley then disapparating. They appeared across the street from the apartment building were the Goldstein sisters lived.

They walked across the street. Tina opened the door and peeked in before motioning Newt to follow.

"Who's there?" a voice called.

"It's just me, Mrs. Esposito," Tina called.

"Are you alone, Tina?" 

"I'm always alone, Mrs. Esposito," Tina said. "You know that."