Chapter 10

Tina fingered the corner of the folded piece of parchment that she kept in her pocket. She pulled it out and looked at it. It had come in the mail, not via owl like the rest of the Newt's letters. She hadn't bothered writing back, he wouldn't have received the letter. After reading the letter again, she slipped it back into her pocket.

"Tina." 

Tina jumped. She had been so lost in her thoughts about Newt that she hadn't seen her sister walk up and stand right in front of her. She cursed herself silently then looked up.

Queenie grinned down at her. "I'm gonna go to Jacob's bakery," she said.

Tina frowned. She looked at the clock. "Hang on, Queenie. It won't be opened yet."

"But it will be soon."

Tina rolled her eyes. "You know, if MACUSA finds out that you keep going there --" she started.

"I know they won't like it, Teenie, but I have to go," Queenie said. There were tears forming in her eyes. "You don't understand."

"I'm not telling you not to go. I'm just saying you should be careful."

Queenie smiled. "I am being careful. Don't worry." She turned to go.

When the door had closed behind Queenie, Tina mumbled, "And I do understand." She knew what Queenie meant when she said she had to go. It was the same feeling she had every time she thought of Newt. She longed to be with him, to hear his voice, to see him interact with his creatures. This feeling had only gotten stronger when she had read the letters she had found scattered on his workbench. 

She started fiddling with the silver bracelet that was wrapped around her right wrist. She fingered the Occamy's head and wings. The feeling of guilt washed over her. I shouldn't have read those letters. He didn't want me to read them, that's why he didn't send them. Tina frowned. I can't let him know I've read those letters. If he brings it up then I'll tell him. If he doesn't . . . I hope he somehow finds the courage to bring it up.

More thoughts ran through Tina's mind as she slouched further down. She brought her feet up and hugged her knees, not caring that her slippers were on the couch. She rested her head on her knees. Queenie would yell at me if she saw this. 

As if on cue, the apartment door opened. Without looking up, Tina said, "Forgot something, Queenie?"

Tina heard the door click shut and a familiar voice saying, "Well I'm not Queenie and I don't think I've forgotten anything, except maybe my manners."

Tina's head snapped up. 

"Newt!"

"I'm sorry for walking in like this but I thought I heard your landlady coming up the stairs and I didn't want to be caught standing in front of your door. I'd have gotten you in trouble."

Tina stood up. "Don't worry about it, Newt. You can walk in here without knocking any time you like." 

They both blushed and looked at their shoes. Eventually, Tina looked up and said, "Would you like to see your creatures?"

"Yes, of course."

Tina led Newt into her room and into the case. She stood in front of his shed and smiled as she watched Newt greet all his creatures. He looks so happy. He loves them so much. Tina loved how easily he interacted with them. He could never act that easily around humans.

Newt walked over to Tina with Minty sitting on his shoulder. "Thank you for taking care of them, Tina," he said.

"You're welcome," Tina said, smiling. "Thank you for coming back."