Chapter 25

Newt checked the clock at the back of Obscurus Books. They still had half an hour before they had to get to their ship. Newt groaned. He wished they were already on their way to New York or at least still at the house. Instead, he was stuck making arrangements for future publications. Jacob had offered to stay with him, but Queenie had dragged Tina, Modesty, and Credence off to look at the different shops.

It had been two weeks since Queenie and Jacob's wedding. Newt's mother had helped them find a house on the outskirts of London but they were going back to New York with Newt and Tina to get their things so they could properly move to England.

Newt frowned at the paper in front of him. Then he shrugged and signed the paper. He mostly just wanted to be done and on his way home.

"OK, Jacob," Newt sighed. "Let's find the others."

They left the shop and wandered around until they found the rest of their group.

"Are you ready to go?" Newt asked.

"Yeah," Tina smiled. 

Queenie stiffened. "Newt," she murmured. "Somebody's seen you and they're not happy."

It took all of five seconds for Newt to realize who Queenie meant.

"Newt!" Leta exclaimed. "It's so good to see you!"

Leta had approached from behind Queenie and was now standing in between her and Jacob.

"I thought you didn't want to see him again," Queenie challenged.

"You wouldn't know," Leta spat.

"What makes you so sure?"

Newt glanced at Tina. She looked nervous and slightly uncomfortable. Queenie and Leta had started a very one-sided argument. Leta was hardly getting a single word in and was looking even more confused and annoyed each second. Newt figured that Leta didn't know what was going on. She couldn't know that Queenie was a Legilimens and Queenie was being very subtle, for once. Newt wasn't even sure about what they were arguing about.

Eventually, Leta got frustrated and turned to Newt. "And this is your girlfriend? How can you stand her?" she demanded.

"Don't say anything against my sister," Tina snapped. "And she's not Newt's girlfriend, I am. She just said she was to protect me."

Newt glanced at Tina. Her cheeks were a bright read and Newt wasn't sure whether it was because she was blushing or furious, or both. He knew he was blushing. He noticed that Tina's hand was deep in her pocket, probably gripping her wand. Leta pulled out her own wand and Newt decided it was time to go. He glanced at Queenie who nodded. She grabbed Jacob and Modesty while Newt grabbed on to Tina and Credence. Newt saw Leta raise her wand as they apparated to the dock.

Newt shivered. "I hope I never see her again."

"I don't blame you," Queenie said. "You're lucky you can't read minds."

After making sure nobody had seen them apparate, Newt took Credence into a corner and had him climb into the case. They had decided it was best to smuggle him back into the States since he had smuggled himself out of them. Then Newt rejoined the others and the boarded the ship.

When they were on board, Queenie and Jacob got their luggage from Newt's case and vanished into their room to settle in. Tina's and Newt's rooms each had two beds. They decided that Modesty would stay with Tina and Credence would stay with Newt. Queenie offered to make Modesty's bed so that no one would suspect that all four beds were being slept in instead of just three. When Newt tried to ask why it was Modesty's bed being made and not Credence's, Queenie reminded him Modesty was his daughter and was supposed to be staying in his room.

When they were settled,  Tina, Modesty, and Newt joined Credence in the case. While the two kids started playing with Dougal and the Niffler, Tina and Newt sat on the grass to watch.

Newt wrapped his arm around Tina's shoulders. "When we get home, I'm really going to need to find a house. I can't stay in your apartment forever, especially with Queenie gone. Besides, it gets tiring, having to sneak in, especially with Modesty and Credence now."

"Not to mention what everyone would say if they found out," Tina added.

"Well, yes."

"I kinda wish you didn't have to," Tina said. "I mean, I don't really like the idea of living by myself. I've never done it before."

"It's not that bad," Newt grinned. "You can do what you want."

"Yeah, but . . . what if I have another nightmare. I'll wake up and I'm all alone."

"You haven't had a nightmare since . . . how long ago was it?"

Tina rolled her eyes. "Two days, remember?"

"Oh, right. I forgot," Newt apologized. "If you have a nightmare, you know how to apparate and you'll know where my house is."

"In other words, I can still come crying to you," Tina smiled.

"I wouldn't have put it that way." Newt protested.

"Of course not, but I did." 

There was a pause then Tina said haltingly. "I'm sorry I said I was your girlfriend. I was just so annoyed and tired of that woman showing up that I had to say it. I'm sorry if you don't want me to be your girlfriend. We don't have to be in that kind of relationship."

"Actually, I was glad you did," Newt said sheepishly. "I'd love for you to be my girlfriend. If you hadn't said that, I probably never would have had the courage to ask you. Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

"Of course I do," Tina said, smiling.

"Good." Newt pushed a strand of hair out of her face.

Tina pressed a kiss to Newt's lips. "I love you," she murmured before burying her face in Newt's coat. Newt looked down at the top of Tina's head.

"I love you too," he whispered.