Chapter 8

Tina blinked her eyes opened. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. She looked at the time. It was 4:53. She had been working since 7:30 and had fallen asleep at her desk. She groaned and reached for her quill. It's a good thing I came to work early, she thought. I'm just not sure what time I fell asleep. 

Tina began working again and managed to finish a good number of papers before she heard the voice that usually came from her doorway at least once a day.

"Hello, Tina," Jim said.

"Hello, Jim," Tina answered. She didn't look up but kept on working.

"I was wondering if you maybe wanted --"

"Look, Jim," Tina interrupted, "I'm sorry but do you see this?" She indicated the stack of papers. "I'm already gonna have to go home late because of this and I really need to get working."

"Oh," Jim's face fell.

Tina regretted the tone she'd used. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped. I'm just really tired."

"I know," Jim said. "I'll leave you alone for now."

"Thanks." Jim left and Tina went back to work. I just wish Newt was as bold as he was, she thought. Oh, shut up, Tina. You're talking as if Newt likes you. You may love him but I doubt he loves you. . . . But he does care for me, at least a little, right?

Tina had, as she said, gone home late. She had fed Newt's creatures and was now sitting on the step of Newt's shed with his book in her lap. She had just finished it and had thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. She loved the details of every creature and she admired the drawings that Newt had done. Each one was so carefully made, each line filled with the love he had for the creature being drawn. 

In the last few days, Tina had begun drawing the different creatures that Newt had in his case herself. She had just put the finishing touches on the drawing of the Niffler when Minty bounded up. Minty started playing with Tina's quill.

"All right, Minty," Tina said, laughing, "we can play."

Minty followed Tina as she stood up and walked to the shed. She set her drawings on the desk in the one spot that wasn't covered in papers. She turned to Minty who was sniffing under the desk.

"What's under there?" she asked. Kneeling on the floor, Tina bent over and looked under the desk. There was a sheet of paper under the desk. She grabbed her wand and muttered, "Accio." The paper slid out from under the desk. She picked it up and glanced at it, trying to figure out what it was. It was a letter that started with:

Dear Newt, 

Tina didn't recognize the handwriting, it was rather fancy and clearly feminine. She glanced at the bottom. It said:

Love,
Leta Lestrange

Tina paled slightly. She knew she shouldn't read it but she couldn't help herself. 

Dear Newt,

How are you? It's been so long since we last saw each other. I was wondering if we could find a time to meet up and talk. I'll be in London in a few weeks. Maybe we could have dinner together to catch up. I have so much to tell you that it would never fit in a letter. I miss you.

Love,

Leta Lestrange

Tina frowned she checked the top of the letter for a date. 28 January, 1927. She glanced at the papers on the desk, hoping to find something to tell her whether or not Newt had met with Leta. She saw another letter from a month later, February 26, that said: