Chapter 13

Newt sat slouched against his shed as he smoothed the young hippogriff's feathers. Two years had passed since MACUSA had hired him to stop the illegal breeding of magical creatures. He and Tina had rescued hundreds of animals. Usually, he would care for the creatures until they would be able to fend for themselves and then he would release them back into the wild. However, sometimes a creature would never be able to take care of itself and he would have to find a place for it to live in his case. 

Tina came out of the shed and sat down next to Newt. "We're back at MACUSA," she said. "Did you find out what's wrong with it?"

"Her wing is broken and she was sick. I've taken care of her wing and have a potion brewing. She's so young . . ." Newt trailed off.

"I suppose you'll have to find a place for it but that's not what's bothering you. What is it?"

Newt caught Tina's hand and held onto it. "There were so many of them lying in that field. And all of them dead." He shuddered. "We tried so hard but all of it was a waste. I couldn't save them. Those villains killed them all."

Tina squeezed his hand. "We didn't expect them to kill them all. I'm sorry that had to happen but at least we caught most of 'those villains.' We won't have to worry about them hurting any more creatures."

"But still--"

"And they didn't kill all of them. We still rescued her." Tina gestured to the young hippogriff.

"I know."

"Now. She'll need a home. Come on, Newt."

"Right." Newt pulled himself together and stood up. "But first, the potion should be done soon and we'll need to give that to her." 

Newt stepped back into the shed. He saw Tina move into the doorway so she could watch him. For a moment, he thought of asking Tina to watch the young hippogriff but he decided against it when he realized she probably was doing just that. She was a trained Auror and was more than capable of keeping an eye on the hippogriff while she watched him work. This was confirmed when she slipped out of sight a few minutes later. Newt finished the potion and poured it into a bottle before slipping out of the shed. He found Tina guiding the hippogriff back to the front of the shed.

"Someone thought she'd go exploring," Tina said with a slight laugh.

Newt smiled despite himself. "Tina, can you give this to her?" he asked, handing Tina the bottle of potion. "It has to be given slowly but she needs to drink the whole thing."

"Alright. What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to make a home for her. I'm glad that I haven't had to use the Thunderbird encloser for anything else yet. It'll be a good place for her once I've changed it up a bit."

"OK."

Newt smiled as he watched Tina begin administering the potion. I love you, Tina, he thought to himself. I only wish you loved me back. 

She does love you. Maybe if you just told her then she'd admit it.

We're just friends. If I tell her I love her she'll never want to talk to me again.

You don't know that.

Merlin's Beard. Newt groaned slightly annoyed with what he knew to be the more sensible side of himself. 

"Are you okay?" Tina asked frowning.

Newt blushed. He hadn't realized he was still staring at her. "Yes, I'm fine. I was just thinking."

"About what?"

"Nothing of importance."

Tina shrugged and turned back to the hippogriff but Newt had seen the slight frown.