Chapter 20

Tina leaned on the railing of the ship. The coast of England stretched across the horizon. Modesty moved up to the railing next to her.

"Miss Goldstein."

"Hmm."

"I'm nervous. I've never even been out of New York, much less the country."

"It's alright, Modesty," Tina said. "I'm a bit nervous myself. It's my first time out of the United States as well."

"Really?" 

"Queenie and I are orphans too," Tina explained. "Our parents died of dragon pox. Queenie and I pretty much raised each other. The only time we left New York was when we went to school. When we finished school, we got jobs. Since we both worked for MACUSA, we didn't have any reason to leave."

"Until now," grinned Modesty.

Tina smiled and raised a hand to stroke Modesty's hair. "Until now," she echoed.

"Miss Goldstein."

"Haven't I asked you to call me Tina?"

"Sorry. Do you like Mr. Scamander?"

Tina smiled down and Modesty. "What makes you ask that?"

"I've seen the way you two act around each other."

Tina laughed gently. "You could say I like Newt, but between you and me I think it's more accurate to say that I love him."

"I'm glad you two found me." Modesty grinned mischievously. "You make good parents."

Modesty turned and started to run towards Queenie and Jacob, but Tina caught her arm.

"Did Queenie tell you to say that?"

"She might have suggested it, I might have come up with it myself." Modesty wriggled out of Tina's grasp and ran over to Queenie. Tina frowned at her sister and shook her head playfully. 

Newt came up behind Tina and snaked his arm around her waist. "Is Queenie being a nuisance again?"

"A little," Tina said, looking up at him. "She's actually getting your daughter to be a nuisance."

Newt started laughing and Tina couldn't help but smile.

They stood there in comfortable silence for nearly an hour, watching as they sailed down the river, before Tina asked, "How does it feel to almost be home?" 

"It doesn't feel like I'm almost home."

"What do you mean?" Tina asked.

"New York is home now."

"Really? How is New York home?"

"It's just what I've come to think of as home. I've been living there, I work there . . . and you're there."

Tina blushed and leaned into Newt. Queenie appeared at her side; Jacob and Modesty followed close after.

"How long do you think it'll be before we're off this boat?" Queenie asked cheerfully.

"About ten minutes," Newt said softly.

Tina and Queenie glanced at each other. Queenie started grinning and Tina frowned at her. 

Turning to Jacob and Modesty, Queenie said, "Come on you two. They want to be alone." They moved further down the rail.

Tina sighed and slipped her arm around Newt's waist. 

"You know, Queenie's right," he said. "I wish we had some time alone."

"Of course, she's right. She can read our minds."