Chapter 22

Tina squeezed her eyes shut against the sunlight that streamed through the window. She had woken to the sound of the door opening and as she looked in that direction, she saw Queenie slip out and shut the door behind her. 

Stifling a yawn, Tina pulled herself out of bed and changed into her usual pants and blouse. She ran a brush through her hair before leaving the room. 

It had been several days since they had arrived in England, but Tina was still trying to get used to being in a new place. She still had trouble making her way through the Scamander house and was extremely glad for the carvings on the doors that could always point a lost person in the right direction. Smiling, Tina remembered Jacob's shock at being greeted with a cheerful "good evening" from the flying horse carved on the door of his room. Tina and Queenie's room had a unicorn carved in their door.

Tina made her way down the corridor. As she approached Newt's door, it opened and Newt himself emerged.

"Good morning, Tina," he greeted.

Tina smiled at him. "Good morning. Are you ready?"

Newt rolled his eyes. "Ready to talk to millions of people? When would I ever be ready for that?"

Tina grinned and slipped her hand into his.

"Can we go for a walk?"

Newt glanced at Tina. "Sure, I guess. It's almost breakfast time though."

"There's still almost half an hour."

"Very well."

Newt and Tina made their way to the front door. They pulled on their coats and stepped outside. They walked around the garden, hand in hand, talking and laughing. 

They came to a bench by a pond and sat down. Tina snuggled into Newt's side, enjoying his warmth, despite the cool breeze. 

They sat together in silence for several minutes. Eventually, Newt spoke.

"Tina?" he murmured.

"Hmm?"

"Did you know, you're the most beautiful person I've ever met."

Tina felt herself blush. "Honestly, Newt. I'm not as beautiful as Queenie."

"Queenie is beautiful, but I think you're even more beautiful than she is."

Tina buried her face in Newt's coat to keep him from seeing her embarrassed smile. She breathed in Newt's sent, enjoying the smell of outdoors.

"Tina?"

"Hmm?" Tina raised her head to look at Newt.

"Can I kiss you?"

Tina smiled and nodded. They leaned forward and their lips met in a gentle kiss.

They pulled back a few moments later and Tina buried her nose back into the front of Newt's coat.

"It's nearly breakfast time. We're going to be late," Newt said. 

Tina raised her head again and nodded. "Let's go back then."

When they made their way into the dining room, they found the other seven people already there. Queenie smirked at them.

"Good job, Newt," she laughed.

Tina glared at her before taking her seat.

When breakfast was over, Newt went and got his case and they apparated to Diagon Alley. Theseus and Elizabeth had decided they wanted to come along so Theseus apparated with Queenie and Jacob. Tina and Modesty went with Newt. Newt's parents would stop by later.