Chapter 9

Dear Tina,

I hope this letter finds you well. My book signing is over. There were so many people that came. I'm going to visit my family but then I'll be returning to New York. I may even be on my way when you get this. 

Sincerely,
Newt

Newt read through the letter once more. Finally satisfied, he folded it and took it to the post office to have it delivered to Tina. He then apparated as close as possible to his family's house.

Having walked through the gate and down the road to the house, Newt pulled the door open and slipped inside. He pulled his coat off and hung it on a hook in the hall. He noticed the clean black coat that hung on the hook next to his blue one and the light red one next to that.

Theseus is here and he's brought a lady with him, Newt thought to himself. He glanced at the time. They should be in the sitting room right now.

He walked down the hall and to the right until he got to the sitting room door. It was opened. Newt could see his mother and father sitting on the couch on the other side of the room, facing the door. On the couch closer to him he could see the back of Theseus's head and the head of a blond woman he didn't know.

"Newt!" his mother, Helena, exclaimed, jumping up and rushing forward to give her son a hug.

"Hello, mother," Newt said when she had released him.

"Where did you vanish to, son?" his father, George, asked. "You were at supper one evening and didn't show up to breakfast the next morning."

"Uh, I had to see a couple of friends in New York."

"What kinds of friends, Newton?" Theseus asked.

"Friends who helped me in the past," Newt answered casually. "And are you going to introduce me to your friend?" he added.

"I'm sorry," Theseus said. "Newt, this is Elizabeth Cantwell." He turned to her. "This is my little brother, Newton."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Newt said, offering his hand.

Elizabeth stood and shook it. "I've been looking forward to meeting you," she said. "You're the one who released a book a few weeks ago, right?" 

"Uh, yes," Newt said. "That reminds me. Excuse me." He returned to his coat and grabbed two copies of his book from his magically enlarged coat pockets. He walked back to the sitting room. 

"Here," he said, handing one copy to his mother and one to Theseus. "I've brought you signed copies of my book."

"Thank you, Newt," Helena said.

Theseus was studying the book intently. "I understand that you wouldn't give me a book right away," he started, "but why did you take so long to give mother one?"

"Well, it only came out recently and I left England just before it came out. I only just got back. Then I had a book signing so this is my first chance to come back home and --"

"But couldn't you get a book before it was officially published?" Theseus interrupted.

"Only one, a test copy for me that way I could say if I wanted to change something or if they should go ahead and publish it."

"I've heard that the test copy is the best copy. Wouldn't you give Mother the best copy?"

"Theseus, if Newt wants to keep the first copy for himself, he can," their mother said with a knowing smile at Newt. He sat down on the couch next to her.

Elizabeth had taken the book and was thumbing through it. She turned the book to show Newt the dedication page. "Who are these?"

"Oh," Newt felt his ears go pink. "They're friends of mine. They helped me catch my creatures when they got loose in New York."

"When were you in New York, Newt?" she asked.

"Last December. I was there for about ten days."

"Didn't you get kicked out of America because you set your creatures loose?" Theseus asked.

"I didn't set them loose," Newt started but Elizabeth stopped him.

"If you were there in December you must have been there at about the time of the Grindelwald affair."

"Yes, I was." Newt smiled, remembering how involved he had been in the Grindelwald affair.

"Were you aware of it while it at the time?" she asked. 

"Yes, but not at first," Newt answered honestly. 

"What were you doing while that was going on?" 

"Well . . . " Newt racked his brain to find something to say. He didn't really want to let his family, especially Theseus, know what his part in the Grindelwald affair had been. Several lies entered his head but he didn't want to lie. "Well . . ." He suddenly remembered that he had had a real reason to go to New York in the first place. "I was trying to return a Thunderbird to his home in Arizona but some of my other creatures escaped one of the MACUSA Aurors took me in for exposing the magical community."

"Speaking of your creatures," Theseus interrupted, "where's your case, Newton?"

"Oh, I left it at home," Newt said absentmindedly. 

"But isn't this your home?" Elizabeth asked.

Newt opened his mouth then closed it. He didn't know how to answer the question. In fact, his own reply to his brother confused him. 

Newt was saved the trouble of answering by the appearance of a house elf who informed them that dinner was ready. 

"We're coming. Set another place for Newt, please," Helena said to the elf. She turned to her younger son. "You are staying to dinner, aren't you?"

"Yes, of course," Newt said, smiling at her.

"How long will you be staying?" George asked as he stood up and headed towards the dining hall.

"I have to leave tomorrow." Newt smiled apologetically. "I need to get back to my creatures."

"Why didn't you bring them here?" Theseus asked.

"It was a last minute decision to come here and I didn't have my case with me."

They all walked into the dining hall and found their places at the table. Newt puzzled over his reply to Theseus's question about his case and Elizabeth's question to that reply.

Home. Elizabeth was right, wasn't she? This is my home, isn't it? Yes, at least it was. . . . Was? But if it is my home then why did I refer to New York as my home. I don't live there. I've only spent about two weeks there. . . . Then why did I call it my home? . . . Tina. Newt felt his cheeks go red. New York is Tina's home. . . . Tina's home. . . . Tina's home is my home? . . . Maybe. He sat down at the table and looked at his plate. Merlin's Beard! I can't do this. I won't tell her I love her unless I can be sure that she loves me. . . . Queenie would tell you she does. . . . I'm just glad Queenie isn't here.

Helena had noticed Newt's slight frown. "What is it, Newt?"

"Oh, nothing," Newt looked up at her. "Just thinking."

His mother smiled knowingly and the conversation moved on to other things. Newt joined the conversation willingly but whenever his mind was given a chance to wander it always settled on one thing. Tina.