Chapter 28

Tina absentmindedly rubbed her left shoulder as she walked down the hall towards her office. She had been gone for over a week and all she wanted to do was go home. No. Not home. Newt's house, she thought. She reached her office and smiled as she saw Newt with his forehead resting on the desk. He raised his head as she entered.

"Tina!" 

"What's going on," Tina grinned. "I'm usually the one falling asleep at work."

Newt stood up and moved towards her. "I wasn't asleep, but I am exhausted. I haven't slept well recently."

"What, you haven't slept well since I left?" she teased.

"Actually, yes," Newt admitted. "I was worried about you." He pulled Tina into a tight hug. She groaned. Newt pushed her back and looked at her. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Tina said. "I just got hit in the shoulder the other day so it's still a little stiff."

Newt frowned. "Hit how? Physically or magically?"

"Technically both. I was hit in the shoulder by a chunk of stone that was magically thrown at all of us and happened to hit me."

"Does it hurt?" Newt looked concerned.

Tina shook her head. "Not anymore. Only when you squeeze me."

Newt gently pulled Tina into a hug. She relaxed in his arms. She felt safer there than anywhere else and she never wanted him to let go. Of course, they couldn't spend the rest of the day standing there. When Newt released her, Tina moved over to the desk and pulled out the papers she needed.

"Can we go home," she asked, "or do you have to stay here?"

Newt smiled. "We can go home."

As soon as they entered Newt's house, Tina tossed the papers on the coffee table and flopped on the couch. A few moments later, Tina felt Newt lift her head and sit where it had been before resting her head back in his lap.

"Look what I've found," he said opening his fist to reveal a gold band.

Tina pushed herself up. "My ring! Where did you find it?"

'You'll have to ask the Niffler," Newt laughed. "He got loose the other day and raided the living room. It might have been under the couch or the cushions or the chair."

Tina slipped the ring on her finger and lay back down. "Can we stay here forever?" Tina asked.

Newt chuckled. "We can stay here for a while, but I will eventually have to go feed my creatures."

Tina groaned. "Then can we just do that now?"

"I suppose so."

"Then we can just stay here forever. Right?"

"We'll see."

Tina pushed herself up and followed Newt into the case. She followed Newt around, doing her best to help him feed the creatures, despite her sore shoulder. 

When they got back to the shed, Tina realized her book was on the workbench. She picked it up and flipped through it. "I was wondering where I put this."

"Tell me, how many times have you read that book?"

"What, this copy or both copies?"

Newt laughed. "Why not . . . just this copy."

"I have no idea."

Tina climbed out of the case and sank back on the couch. Newt sat down beside her and gently pressed a kiss to her temple.

"I missed you, Tina," he murmured.

"I was only gone for a week," Tina smiled.

"Hey, you weren't around, and I was worried. I don't think you realize that you could easily be killed on those missions."

"It's nice to know you don't want me to get hurt, but I'm not that reckless. I'm not going to get killed." Tina planted a kiss on Newt's cheek. "But I missed you too."

A few minutes later, Credence came down the stairs into the living room. 

"Miss Goldstein, you're back," he exclaimed.

"It's good to see you, Credence," Tina smiled. "And you too, Modesty," she added as the young girl appeared behind her brother.

Newt stood up. "I'm going to make some dinner."

Tina stood up and pulled out her wand, setting the table with a flick of her wrist. Credence and Modesty sat down. Tina waited till Newt was done making the food then helped him set it on the table. She sat down beside him and they started eating.

Tina would have been lying if she said Newt's food was better than Queenie's. It wasn't, but Tina was incredibly hungry. She hadn't really had access to proper food while on the mission.

Tina noticed Newt staring at her. She gave him a smile. He blushed and looked down at his plate.

When supper was over, Newt offered to take Tina home. Tina agreed and they left the house hand in hand. They chose not to apparate. Instead, they walked through the streets of New York till they reached Tina's apartment. 

 When they had snuck into the apartment, Newt pulled Tina into a gentle hug.

"I missed you," he murmured.

"I missed you, too," she replied.

Newt glanced at the time. "I know it's still early, but you should go to bed. You must be tired."

Tina nodded despite herself. "I am tired," she admitted. "I guess I will go to bed."

Newt smiled and pressed a kiss to Tina's forehead. 

"Goodnight, Tina."

"Goodnight, Newt."

Tina watched as Newt left her apartment. Then she turned and walked to her room. Queenie's bed still sat on one side of the room. Tina hadn't bothered removing it. She pulled on her pajamas, switched off the lights, and climbed into bed. She hadn't actually realized how tired she really was and how much her whole body ached.

Oh, Newt. It's so good to be back. I just hope I never have to leave you again.