Chapter 4

Tina groaned inwardly as she shuffled through paperwork. She had seen Newt at breakfast but had had to rush off to work. She wanted nothing better to be sitting on the couch in her apartment, reading Newt's book. 

Sighing, she set the paperwork to one side and opened the top drawer to look at Newt's book. It was beautiful. The cover was blue and had a gold occamy and the words Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them By Newt Scamander embossed on it. 

She began to lift the cover to see the dedication page again when she heard her name. Dropping the cover and closing the drawer, Tina looked towards the door. Jim was standing in the doorway. He grinned.

"Oh. Hello, Jim," she said.

"What do you have there?"

"Uh, paperwork."

"Paperwork?" Jim asked.

"Yeah," Tina said casually. "I'm an Auror, Jim. Paperwork is part of my job."

"But why'd you hide it so quick?" Jim asked. "I'm an Auror too."

"You startled me."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry, Jim, but do you mind telling me what you came for? I really am very busy," Tina said.

"I was just wondering if you'd like to, maybe, go to dinner with me today," Jim said.

Newt. "Uh, no. Sorry. Um, Queenie and I have a, uh, a guest coming over for dinner tonight," Tina stammered. Well, Newt's eating dinner with us so it is true. 

"Oh." Jim was clearly disappointed. "Maybe lunch?"

"Can't," Tina said. "I'm gonna be working through lunch." She indicated the large stack of papers on her desk.

"Sorry," Jim said. "You maybe wanna grab a cup of coffee after work."

How do I get out of this one? "Um, I . . . uh, I . . . The house is a mess. I've gotta go straight home to help Queenie clean it up for our guest," Tina lied.

"Oh." Jim looked down. "Maybe another day."

"Maybe another day," Tina repeated.

____

Tina worked straight through lunch and all the way until 6:00. When she heard the clock strike she groaned and set aside her unfinished paperwork. She pulled her book out of the drawer and shoved it into her pocket. Then she went home.

When Tina walked into the apartment she dropped onto the couch and looked around for Newt. 

"Newt's in his case, Teenie," Queenie said. She moved into the living room. "You've had a long day at work."

Tina nodded. But it would've been shorter if Jim hadn't come and tried to get a date with me again.

"Jim's been bothering you again?"

"Don't read my mind," Tina said for the millionth time.

"Just tell him you ain't interested," Queenie said.

He's sweet. I don't want to hurt him. 

"I'll tell him for you," Queenie offered.

"I don't think he'll take that well, Queen," Tina sighed. I just wish Newt was as interested in me as Jim is.

"He is, Tina," Queenie said softly. "Probably more interested than Jim is. He just don't know how to show it."

Tina blushed. "Go away, Queenie."