Chapter 5

Newt scooped up the papers that were spread across his desk and placed them in a pile off to the side. He was looking for the notebook that he kept all his notes in. He had seen it the day before but couldn't find it. He turned around and looked on the selves by the wall. The book sat there on the shelf bellow the picture of Leta. He picked the book up and turned towards the ladder. Then he hesitated and turned back to the picture. He picked that up as well and shoved it into the pocket of his coat.

"Newt?" Tina's voice came down from the room above. 

Newt set the book down on his desk and moved towards the ladder. His wand caught the stack of papers and knocked them across the desk. One fell to the ground. Ignoring them, Newt climbed up the ladder. 

"Good morning, Tina," Newt said, smiling at her.

Tina was crouched by his case. She looked down at him. 

"Good morning, Newt," Tina said. "Do you want breakfast?"

"Yes, please." Newt climbed out of the case. He shut it and set it against the wall. 

Newt turned towards the door but stopped when he felt Tina's hand on his arm. He turned back to her.

"Newt, I . . . Thank you for coming back to bring me the book . . ." she said.

"You're welcome."

Tina smiled and turned red. "And thank you for promising to come back."

"Well, I don't want to leave yet so I'm glad to come back." Newt blushed. "I -- I enjoy being here with Queenie and you."

Newt realized that Tina's hand was still on his arm. She must have realized it as well because she dropped it quickly.

"Let's go get breakfast," she said, looking at the floor.

"Yes."

Newt and Tina walked to the table and sat down. Queenie sat down across from Newt and started eating. 

"Good morning, Queenie," Newt said. 

"Good morning." 

Tina started. Queenie's response had sounded quite snappish. She opened her mouth to say something but her sister cut her off.

"Nothing's wrong, Tina. I'm just tired." 

When breakfast was over, Newt went with Tina to work. 

When they got to MACUSA Newt said, "The last time I was here I was being arrested for setting creatures loose on New York which I didn't even do."

Tina blushed. "I'm sorry, Newt." 

"No. It's fine. I really enjoyed standing in that room in front that death potion, watching as you were slowly lowered into it," Newt grinned. "Very entertaining."

Tina glared at him then she smiled. "Thank you for saving my life back then." 

"It was my pleasure."

They got to Tina's office and Newt sat down in the chair she indicated. Tina started doing paperwork and Newt busied himself with writing a letter to his publisher, giving the time that he could be there for the book signing. 

"Tina?" A man's voice came floating into the office. Newt looked up and Tina started, dropping her quill. As she ducked down under her desk to get it, a young man stepped into the doorway. Newt didn't recognize him.

"Where's Tina?" he asked. 

There was a sharp crack and the things on the desk jumped a bit. Two seconds later Tina came up from behind it, rubbing her head.