Chapter 30

Tina opened her eyes to see white fabric. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. Seeing the ring on her finger, she remembered what had happened the evening before.

I'm engaged to Newt Scamander, she thought, looking down at him. He was stretched out in the grass. They had fallen asleep in the Mooncalf enclosure. She glanced around the case. There was no sense of time there. It was still night where they sat, but a few feet away it was as bright as day. Looking at her watch, she realized it was getting late.

Tina poked Newt in the side. 

"Hey, Mr. Scamander," she said. "Wake up."

Newt stretched and opened his eyes. "Am I Mr. Scamander now?" he said, smiling sleepily.

Tina grinned. "You're my Mr. Scamander."

Newt sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"Come on, Newt. We're going to be late to work and I'm hungry."

Newt pulled Tina closer. "I don't care if we're late to work."

"You're not the one who has to write a report on a mission."

"I know, but it won't take the whole day," Newt murmured. "We can afford to be late."

He smiled and kissed Tina. They were silent for a few moments.

"You know, you have really bad timing," Tina said presently.

"What do you mean?"

"You propose to me the day before Queenie comes. She's going to go crazy when she gets here."

Newt grinned. "It's better than waiting until after she gets here and letting her ruin it."

Tina shrugged. "I guess."

"Anyway, I was going to propose yesterday even before Queenie's letter came."

Tina grinned and jumped to her feet. "Come on. I'm hungry."

Newt groaned as Tina pulled him to his feet. He frowned slightly. 

"Are we going to tell them?"

Tina turned. "Who?"

"The kids."

"That's what I thought. We should," Tina replied. "Maybe after breakfast."

Newt grinned. "Okay, I get the hint. Let's go get food."

They climbed out of the case. Tina set the table as Newt prepared the food. When she was done, she went upstairs to get the kids. Credence was sitting in his chair, reading a book.

"Good morning, Credence."

Credence looked up.

"Good morning, Miss Goldstein."

Tina smiled. "It's breakfast time."

"Isn't it a bit late?"

Tina shrugged. "We overslept."

As Credence went downstairs, Tina went to find Modesty. The young girl sat on her floor, brushing her hair.

"Good morning, Tina," she said when she saw her.

"Breakfast time," Tina said.

Modesty jumped up and set her hairbrush on her dresser. She ran downstairs, quickly hugging Tina as she went passed. Tina followed her down the steps and took her seat at the table.

Newt and Tina were both very quiet during the meal. Credence and Modesty had gotten into an intense discussion about something they had read in a book. When breakfast was over, Tina cleared the table while Newt took the kids to the living room. Tina finished putting away the dishes and joined Newt on the couch.