Chapter 5

Lottie was mad at me.

Ever since Maddison stood in the middle and got punched for me, Lottie had been asking me questions like crazy and I didn't have any answers for her. A big part of this was because I didn't know why Maddison did that either. And while I was trying to come up with some stupid answer myself, the fact that Maddison had stolen my first kiss kept coming back to me every single minute of the day.

It wasn't like I thought Maddison liked me or anything but I couldn't help but think of it as a very unlikely possibility. I mean, Maddison kissed me because she wanted to use that as something to blackmail me with. But she didn't have to get in the middle and defend me. She didn't even like me.

Or so she said.

I understood that Lottie wanted me to answer her questions but she should've known that I also had questions of my own to ask and I would most likely not get an answer for those because my questions were for Maddison and there was no way in hell I was going to talk to her. Mostly because Maddison had gone back to pretending I was invisible. Like she didn't kiss me at the party, like we didn't have a conversation after Danny's, like she didn't get in the middle and got punched when it should've been me.

A bit of a mind-fuck, to be honest.

"Maddison would've never done that for anyone and she did it for you," Lottie kept saying as if I hadn't come to that conclusion on my own. I rolled my eyes for the hundredth time and started walking to my next class. Lottie followed behind. "I don't know if you understand what happened, Asha. Maddison did that. Maddison."

"Yes, Lottie, I know. I was there," I groaned when Rebecca passed by me and glared at me.

It was so stupid how these girls never even thought much of me, for not saying that they didn't even know I existed, and now they were looking at me like I had a piece of something that belonged to them.

Hey, if they wanted it, whatever it was, it was free for the taking. I didn't want it.

Lottie was talking my ear off by the time we got to my class. I almost always was the first one to get to class, always before the second bell. Lottie was being so, so annoying that when I saw Maddison walking down the corridor with a smirk on her lips as she texted away, I did something I probably shouldn't have done.

"Alright, Lottie, you want answers? I'm going to get you your stupid answers," I snapped at her before I speed-walked towards Maddison and grabbed her by the wrist.

I dragged her out of school grounds. It was stupid to pretend like I wasn't nervous because everybody saw us and they all noticed, just like I noticed, that Maddison didn't once complain or said anything, she just let herself be dragged away.

We were sitting at the swings in the park next to our school.

Neither of us said anything, my confidence from the annoyed state I was in, was long gone when I realised that I had brought Maddison to a place where we'd be alone.

She was still on her phone, ignoring me. I didn't think she was texting, though, I think she was just going through her phone as you do when you're in an awkward situation with nothing to do.

But if Maddison remembered anything about me, she must've known I wasn't going to say anything. Awkward was my middle name and I wasn't going to start this conversation. Fair enough, I was the one that dragged her here but... I don't know, I did that in a moment of desperation, driven by my cousin asking me so many questions about Maddison doing anything for me and girls glaring at me for no reason at all.