Chapter 6

It had been about a week since I was supposed to get close to Maddison. Needless to say, I haven't done it.

Every time I tried to, it just got weird. I never thought about trying to be friends with Maddison again, she stopped talking to me and I didn't try to talk to her either, time went by and things fell apart.

It wasn't even like I didn't have opportunities to talk to her because I did. I was spending a little more time with Danny and that lead me to spend more time with Maddison. However, at times it was weird... Maddison and Danny did things they both liked, things I wasn't interested in, such as Tennis.

That was how I found myself falling asleep on Maddison's shoulder as Danny apparently won a tennis match. How do you even score goals in tennis?

But I had a "job" to do and the girls were pressuring me as well. If not whenever they saw me in school, they would do it by texting. One of them created a group chat and Lottie added me and now I had notifications pretty much all the time.

"Wake up," Maddison's voice brought me back from my sleep. I rubbed my eyes. "Here, I got you a hotdog and some ugly coffee thing you like."

I could tell she was trying to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal but the fact that she knew the 'ugly coffee thing I liked' was not something that just happened. So, me, being me, I pointed it out.

Maddison looked down at her little pretzels and dipped it in cheese. She shrugged and said, "Danny snaps me pictures of it when you guys go out, he makes sure to point out how you ask exactly for half a shot of coffee."

"I can't sleep if I drink too much coffee," I told her, drinking a little. "Does it have caramel?"

"They asked if chocolate or caramel, I didn't know which one so I just went with it." She cleared her throat and awkwardly looked at her pretzel. Why was she being so awkward? "Can I ask you something?"

I nodded but since Maddison was avoiding looking at me, I hummed as well.

"Why are you here?" She asked, turning to look at me. There was no rudeness in her tone, actually, there was curiosity dripping from her words. "I just— you don't even like Tennis."

"This is important to Danny," I shrugged, Maddison turned to look at me funny, "He had been talking about this nonstop, I thought I'd, I don't know, get a little involved in it."

Maddison nodded and looked away just in time to see Danny hit the ball and people cheering when the other player didn't hit it back. I looked down at my hotdog and inspect it. Maddison must have noticed because she laughed and said, "It doesn't have mustard."

I let myself smile and I thanked her. Huh, how nice.

"So," I began, breaking the silence when my thoughts were getting too loud. "I heard you and Sam talk."

Maddison nodded, drinking from her coke. "Yes," She said, "I got her number at the party, Lottie told me she was studying at the university I want to go to, I just wanted to know about it."

"Hard to believe," I muttered.

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing," I shrugged. Maddison's famous smirk was in full display, she raised her eyebrows and shrugged back at me, letting the subject go.

"She's not my type, Asha."

"You have a type?" I couldn't help myself, the words just came out of my mouth.

"As a matter of fact, I do," She met my eyes and I could tell she wasn't lying. To be honest, I always thought her type was just... girls.

That's it. Girls.