Chapter 25

Aunt Ceci's face was screwed up in disgust. She didn't want to look but she couldn't bring herself to look away from my phone's screen.

"I can already imagine Jeanine yelling at Lottie," Auntie tried not to laugh but she failed, she then shivered and pushed my phone away from her eyesight. "That's disgusting, it looks like—"

"A tennis ball, right?" I laughed, Auntie Ceci nodded.

"How comes Becca left?" She asked, looking back at the front door from where Becca left about 10 minutes ago.

"Her dad called her," I sighed, going through my messages to find Danny's contact.

"Did you have fun?"

"Yeah."

"I like the girls, they're so nice." Aunt Ceci continued, I could see her from the corner of my eye, drinking tea and staring at the TV. "It's nice that you've made friends with them so quick."

"Yeah, it's weird but they're really nice." I smiled to myself, sending Danny the pictures I had from the weekend.

"Rebecca's pretty nice if I do say so myself. I'm sure lots of young people fancy her."

"Auntie," I snorted, looking at Cecil. "That sounds very awkward coming from you."

I looked back to my phone, the pictures we managed to take were pretty cool.

"I'm just saying she's a very beautiful young woman." Auntie sighed, taking the remote and looking through Netflix's movie section. Right then, a picture of Becca and I came up. It was at night, I was playing the guitar and she was singing. Nina was also in the picture but she was looking away, laughing at something. Becca was focused on me while I played the guitar.

She looked like she always did, breathtakingly beautiful.

"Yeah, she really is," I mumbled, suddenly finding it hard to swallow.

When I looked back up to Cecil, she was already looking at me, a hint of a smile on her lips. She looked at me like she realised something that had been in front of her the whole time but it wasn't until this exact moment that she finally noticed.

"What?" I asked her, frowning.

"Nothing, my darling," Aunt Ceci sighed, she put her hand on her chest and looked away from me with the remote still on her other hand.

"You sound like grandma when you call me that," I joked, and judging by Auntie's face, it was like I had said the most offensive thing ever.

"You are so cruel," Auntie said, shaking her head.

We were going through the comedy section when my phone started ringing. It was Maddison telling me she was outside, asking me to come out. Funny, she had sent not one text during the whole weekend and as soon as I'm back here she was.

I told Cecil I'd be back in a minute, that Maddison was outside. Even though the disapproving was all over her face, she doesn't say anything. I grabbed a hoodie and opened the door to find Maddison sitting by the porch, her phone in her hands.

"You okay?" I asked, startling her. She didn't stand, so I sat next to her and as soon as we were on the same level, she leaned in and pecked my lips.

I backed up, blinking fast.

"How was the weekend?" Maddison didn't notice my reaction because she turned away from me as soon as she pulled away. Her attention back to her phone.

"It—" I cleared my throat. "It was good."

This thing Maddison and I had was weird, complicated. During the whole weekend, she never sent a message, never replied when I tried. I knew she was online but she never replied. It bothered me a little but I didn't let it ruin the weekend, I wasn't expecting her to text back, anyway. I thought maybe we were done with the more than friends thing but apparently, we still kissed and stuff... so I guessed we weren't.