Chapter 9

By the time Maddison came back from the bathroom, I had the scrambled eggs served in two plates and I was getting the orange juice out.

My thoughts were so loud and distracting that I didn't hear her coming in until she was literally behind me, a little too close for my liking.

"It smells amazing," She said, moving to jump on the counter. She had a small smile on her face.

I felt my hands crumbling as if they were planning on giving out on me. I held the juice box harder.

"It's just eggs," I smiled back and forced myself not to sound any different. "Also, your phone was ringing."

She made a face, shrugging. "No one important. I'm hungry."

I felt my chest tightening as I poured juice in the glasses. It was obvious they were in the middle of a conversation, Maddison had been texting since she walked in my house... was every girl out there no one to her?

"I'm sure it's not no one important," I shot back, wanting to see if she would say something. If she would at least tell me.

"Do you want to read it?" She asked, staring directly at me, daring me to grab her phone.

"Nah," I shook my head, looking down at my plate. "I'd rather not risk it and get some sort of STI in my eyes."

"I don't think that's possible," She said, it sounded like she was unsure though.

"Of course, it is; it can cause blindness."

The mood around us had changed, we had smiles on our faces but our tones were hostile.

"Trust you to know that." Maddison said.

"Gotta keep myself informed."

"I use protection, anyway," She informed me, making me frown. She must've noticed because she chuckled. "Do I have to give you a lecture about lesbianism and safe sex?"

That would've been nice given that half of the student body at school was part of the LGBTQ+ community and we still didn't get proper sex education when it came to not straight couples.

I shook my head, making a mental note to google it later. Maddison hummed from the other side of the table with her phone in her hands and a small frown, so small that you wouldn't have been able to see it if you hadn't been paying attention to every single movement her muscles ever made.

I don't know why it bothered me so much that she wouldn't even tell me about it. I know that it's stupid because even if we had been talking for a while, Maddison and I weren't proper friends. She didn't have to trust me with her things. But I don't know, I guess I just thought she would tell me.

But then again, why would she? It's not like Sam and I were anything, we never got to be anything.

"One of your girls?" I laughed, trying to keep it casual as I ate.

Maddison chuckled, putting her phone away. She shook her head at me, making me swallow the sudden need to tell her that I knew who she was talking to.

"No, it was my mum. Wanted to know how my night was."

"How is she anyway?"

"Surprised to know we're friends," Maddison rolled her eyes, "delighted more like."

"Mothers loves me," I laughed at my own comment, remembering Rebecca's mother this morning.

"Asha?" Auntie's voice was loud yet it sounded sort of far away. I could hear her coming down the stairs. "Did you cook?"