• T W E L V E •

Birds chirping loudly along with a faint sound of a toad with the trickling water nearby. I slowly opened my eyes just to shut them once again when I stared straight into the bright sun. I let out a small grunt as I turned to my stomach and got up from the sweater I was sleeping on.

I stood up, dusting the dirty leafs off of my knees and backside just to look around noticing Shawn, Normani, and Austin were gone. The kids were resting in the tent Dinah had made and she slept right in front as if she were protecting it. I popped myself back into place feeling much better once the gases were released from in between my bones. I pushed back some of my hair that stuck to my forehead and as a ritual I took my pistol and my pocket knife.

Securely resting them in either my waist band or back pocket I made my way off of the little place we set up. I whistled as if I was hailing a cab and I heard a some twigs or a branch break and I turned towards it.

"Mani?" I whispered and another crunch echoed through the open atmosphere.

"Shawn? Austin?" I hissed hoping someone would answer but no one did causing my heartbeat to speed up.

I slowly walked closer to the sound with my knife out and ready hoping it was something actually alive instead rotting flesh. Carefully moving making almost to no sound and I passed a few trees before sighing in relief. I saw a deer drinking from the water trickling downstream. I then frowned thinking more about the missing members of my crew and felt my pulse raise again.

I quietly moved towards the deer and quickly threw the pocket knife into its neck and as it went to run away I jumped and grabbed ahold of the knife again. Slicing it down until it bled out and died I struggled picking it up but once I did I let out a big breath of air as I pulled it over my shoulders.

I started to walk back to the group but I heard a groan which almost made me drop the heavy ass deer until I heard that voice.

"Jesus Christ man! See, she gets up for five seconds and already gets a bigger kill." Austin spoke to Shawn as he held up a couple squirrels and walked down the small hill.

"Amazing." Normani said in awe and I frowned a bit before looking at the boys.

"What are you guys talking about? It was just over there drinking-"

"I told you we scared it earlier!" Austin slapped Shawn's bare arm and the brown eyed boy shrugged looking down.

"It wouldn't have mattered anyway." He mumbled and walked past me slightly nudging me which only made me frown at the impoliteness coming from him.

"He's still acting like a dick but I think it'll get better. We just gotta get to California sooner than later." Austin smiled at me but I just took a deep breath as I kept my face serious.

"Then we shouldn't waste anymore time now, should we?" I asked and he quirked up his eyebrows.

"Now? But we just got food-"

"Not my problem right now. We'll see if they're hungry when they're up." I mumbled with a small frown wanting to keep moving.

"Y/N..I'm begging you please don't start being an asshole again. He's just going through a very tough time-"

"We all are." I grumbled and turned around as I dropped the deer for him to take and carry.

"Damn it."