Misunderstanding

I apologize to anyone who read the original part. I had to change it because it didn't fit with the story. Thanks for reading. =)

----------------------

A small tapping sound caused Matt to slowly open his eyes. He spotted a figure in the room and was about to get up, before realizing it was Edd.

Matt silently watched as Edd threw on some clothes and exited the room. He sat up and began to get dressed.

Where was Edd going at in the middle of the night?

Matt could tell that Edd never got enough sleep, but never questioned him about it. He just assumed that the knight was having sleeping trouble and tried not to worry.

So much for that. Matt wanted some answers.

And he knew exactly how to get them.

Matt quickly slipped out the door and looked around the hallway, seeing no sign of Edd anywhere. He stopped, taking a moment to think.

Where would Edd go?

'Maybe his room?' Matt thought, before shaking his head. 'No. Nothing important would be there... Plus, someone else was living there now.'

Matt let out a gasp, then squealed. The garden! Of course!

Edd was probably setting up a surprise for him!

The prince clapped his hands excitedly, before skipping off down the hall. He couldn't wait to see Edd's surprise, so he would just quickly go and take a sneak peak.

He continued down the hall, before hearing footsteps nearby. Matt gasped, thinking it was Edd, and hid behind a large plant.

"Stay away!" He heard a man shout.

Matt peaked out to see a man with large eyebrows running down the hallway. The man's clothes were ripped and he looked like he had just escaped a prison.

A few soldiers chased after him, swords waving in the air. Matt waited until they had all past and sighed, coming out from his hiding place.

He had almost come in contact with a escaped convict!

Matt let out a small shiver and continued on his way to the garden.

He wondered what kind of special surprise Edd was planning for him. Was it a picnic? Maybe it was a private little party for the two of them!

Matt let out a dreamy sigh, a smile appearing on his face as he thought about the small knight.

When he finally got there, the prince could barely contain his excitement. He ducked down behind a bush, about to peak, when he heard two voices.

One of them was Edd's, for sure. The other....

Matt let out a small gasp, before quickly covering his mouth with his hand. He waited for a few seconds, but luckily no one had heard him.

The voice... it couldn't be... his two best friends wouldn't do that to him... would they?

Matt began to tremble, forcing himself to peak at them.

Tom was standing right next to Edd, with a hand on his back. They were talking quietly and started smiling at each other.

Matt sat back down, clutching his chest. Tears rolled down his cheek. He was oblivious to the sound of swords clashing behind him. Thoughts streamed through his head at a million miles per hour, but one particularly stood out to him.

This was ending. Now.

"How could you..?" Matt said quietly, rising up for his hiding place. Edd and Tom stared at him with wide eyes.

Edd began to rush over to him. "Matt-!"

"Don't." Matt's voice was emotionless.

Edd stopped immediately, taking a small step back. "Matt I-It's-"

"What." Matt couldn't control what spilled out of his mouth. "It's not what it looks like?"

Edd just let out a small whimper, tears rolling quietly down his cheeks.

"I trusted you Edward." Matt said, his words cutting deeply into Edd. "I guess I shouldn't have. You're nothing but a lowly guard."

"Wha-what..?" Edd managed to get out, his body trembling.

"Shall I state it any plainer?" Matt hissed. "You're nothing to me."

Edd fell to his knees, sobbing. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I-I'll do better-!"

"No." Matt's tone pierced straight through Edd, almost ripping him apart. "You won't do better. You're useless. A useless pile of nothing. Get out of my sight."

"M-Matt please-!" Edd sobbed.

"Now."

Matt turned around, just listening to the knight's quiet sobs.

"I'm sorry I-I lied to you." Edd choked out.

Matt didn't respond.

"P-please..."

...

"Good bye Edward."

Matt walked forward and exited the garden, ignoring the crying mess behind him. He quietly walked back to his room, looking down at the floor the entire time.

By time he had reached the door to his room, tears had already made their way down his face. Matt pushed open the door and closed it, immediately falling to the ground. He wrapped his arms around himself, quietly sobbing.

Matt still loved Edd.

He just wanted the happy, smiling knight by his side to comfort him, to protect him, to... to love him...

But Edd chose someone else.