The Counterattacks

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.”

Abhimanyu’s Perspective

“Abhi!” I heard someone shaking me. I tossed on the other side, covering myself and the next moment my blanket swept off from me, making me groan slightly.

“Abhi get up.” I turned to see Dada eyeing me, skeptically.

“Dada let me sleep, please.” I said hoarsely, snatching blanket from him.

“Why are you sleeping here in the study?” I heard him and that broke my sleep completely. I sat up, rubbing my eyes and strolled outside but he followed me. “Abhi, why were you sleeping there?”

“Let it be Dada!” I dismissed him but halted in steps as I saw my whole family sitting on the dining table.

“Abhi? What were you doing in the study?” Dad cocked his eyebrows and my eyes traced Shree with them, having her breakfast.

“He was sleeping there.” Dada divulged, popping so many pairs of eyes.

Why can’t he remain silent?

Mom and dad exchanged glances and mom turned to Shree. “You said he’s sleeping in the room. Then?”

“I lied.” She put her fork down and sighed. “Actually I woke him up early but he got riled up and yelled on me. Before I could say anything, he walked out warning me not to disturb him.” She lied blatantly. “I am sorry aunt.”

“What?” Everyone echoed in unison and glared me while I had my eyes fix on her who’d a smug look on her face.

“What’s this Abhi?” Mom looked angry, way too angry. “She’s your wife. Have you forgotten that?”

“Mom, that’s not the truth.” I protested and glared Shree, “Why are you saying this?”

“Then you tell the truth. What is the other reason you were sleeping in study?” She countered and I realized I couldn’t answer to that.

“I am sorry.” I mumbled after a minute, this was the only option left.
I’d to go with her concoctions.

“Don’t be. I believe you will not repeat that again.” She smiled at me and I clenched my fist.

“I’ll join you guys after getting fresh.” I muttered and sprinted upstairs. Anger ran in my veins. She was really cunning. I had never thought that she would conspire against me like this; she just turned the even against me. I was forced to accept that Divya was right. Shree wasn’t like she pretended to be and I couldn’t be happy with her.

I stomped my foot and slammed the bathroom door behind me, turned on the shower and let the cold water soothe my anger.

“What was that?” I asked her when she entered the room. 

“Oh that!” She exclaimed. “That was a trailer. You know I want to give you a little insight how your life is going to be about.”

“You think you’re smart?” I was cold, and she shook her head vigorously. “No, not at all. How can I be smart? I don’t know how to be treacherous. I don’t know how to cheat people. That’s you.”

“I didn’t cheat you.”

“Yes, you did.” Her voice croaked. Her façade pulled off, “You cheated me. You think I deserve this? A baseless relation in which, neither you accept me nor you respect me.”

I walked out of the room, clenching my fist and found it unable to answer her. I was stuck.

Shree’s Perspective