[16]

"What kind of jobs do homeless people get?"

Yemi rolled her eyes, staring ahead as she drove. It had been a week of Zayn and Jahdai officially living with her and it was great. He quickly fell into the groove of things and now it was time to get it together.

Today, they had already gotten his identification and any other important documents for both him and Jahdai, and now they were headed to the unemployment office. Zayn's credit score needed all the work, mostly because he had been evicted and stopped paying bills, but if he got a good enough job now, he could focus on paying that off.

"Okay, one, you're not homeless and that's also not something you'd want to tell them."

"Two?"

"I...uh...googled it," she admitted sheepishly, causing him to laugh and look out the window, "didn't find anything. So, we're going to try for the best."

"Alright," they got out once the car parked and Zayn held the door for her.

"Hello," the receptionist greeted them both, "how may I help you?"

"Yes, um, we need to find a job for a Zayn Malik."

"Okay, just put your name here and wait to be called," she gestured to the clipboard on the counter, "it should only be a few minutes."

"Thank you."

"Alright, so," the person dealing with Zayn's files sat back down while looking at the paper. Yemi sat beside Zayn in the chair and peeked up at any new information the woman was about to give.

"Since you haven't had a job in a while and you do owe money, you're not getting the best of the best, but it's a lot better than working fast food I tell you. You don't have any debt besides the bills and three years of taxes, which is only five thousand, not including interest and late fees."

"So, what are his chances at getting a job that could pay all those things off in time?" Yemi asked.

"Ummm, it's hard to tell," she replied, "the jobs that resulted from your files average about eighteen to twenty five dollars an hour, and that's if you get it. It's going to be hard," she passed a paper to them both and sat back, "not bad for someone who's been out of work for a while."

"What did you used to do, Zayn?" Yemi questioned him. He seemed nervous. "Are you okay?"

He looked at her hand on his and nodded. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I used to be an editor for a magazine company. And I had my own columns for art and music."

"I recommend this, also," the manager pointed to a section for writers and or editors, "it's about eighteen an hour."

Zayn was seriously lucky.

"Thank you," Yemi smiled at her gratedfully, "thank you so much."

"It's my pleasure, now if you need anything else I'm here of course."

They both got up and left her office. Yemi directed Zayn to a table and sat beside him again, getting a pen and paper out.

"That wasn't as bad as I thought," he said.

"Honestly. You weren't as bad off as you assumed. You only owe about eight thousand and if you get a good job from these classifieds and keep moving on up, it won't take that long. You're fine."

"Okay, so. What should I try?"

"I'd say try whatever you can, but we're first going to apply for jobs you like, because they're available, then we'll go to others. I at least want you to apply for about fifteen today and I'll help you set up interviews."

"Okay," his stomach growled and Yemi giggled.

"Hungry?"

"Um...no," he blushed, looking away.

"Come on, Zayn. If you're hungry just say it. Plus, when you get this job you can pay me back by feeding me Popeyes."

"Deal." he chuckled, getting up with her and leaving the unemployment office.

"Hey, daddy!" Jahdai cheered, hugging his father when he came through the door. Nadiely followed closely behind, going straight to Yemi and smiling.

"Yem, wassup?"

"Nothing," Yemi yawned, cutting the oven off and turning to her friend, "been applying for jobs all day and I'm tired."

"Any news back?"

"Well, I just did them so only a few came back. I told him to wait a few days, but I feel really good about it."

"Nadi," Jahdai spoke up, sitting on Zayn's lap, "look, this is my daddy."

"Hi, Jahdai's daddy, I'm Nadiely," she shook hands with him and stepped back, "how do you feel?"

"A lot better, thank you. My name is Zayn."

"Awesome."

"So, uh, you're Jah'a girlfriend he always talks about?" Zayn asked with raised brows.

"Well--"

"Yeah!" Jahdai grinned from ear to ear, "that's my girl and then you can be with Yemi then we can go on double dates."

Yemi giggled, blushing and turning away. "You're hilarious Jah."

"Thank you," he sang, leaning on his dad again.

"Anyway," Nadiely laughed, "what's cookin' good lookin'?"

"Some steak and gravy with rice," Yemi replied, "want some?"

"No ma'am, Mariah is cooking for me."

"Mariah? You're roommate? The one that you don't like?"

"That's the one."

"And you're not scared to get poisoned?"

"No, because we spoke about our differences last week and get this," Nadiely sat on the counter beside her and leaned in, "she admitted to liking me."

"Shut up!" Yemi gasped.

"Girl, I swear on it," Nadiely put her hands up and grinned, "so, of course I was surprised, ya know. I said I'd never been with a girl but she's definitely really pretty."

"What happened?"

"Yemi," the other girl bit her lip and put her fist in the air, "for a female, she had this little stroke game down packed."

"Oh my God!" she jumped up and down, laughing her ass off, "no you didn't! I thought those hickies last week were from Jermaine."

"I don't know a Jermaine," she scoffed, pushing her glasses up, "my name is Mrs. Mariah whatever her last name is."

"Now you're together?"

"Talking," she corrected, "I still hate how controlling she is sometimes but we're getting though it."

"Wow, Nadiely, a bisexual," Yemi couldn't believe it.

"I honestly hope it's a phase but then again I don't because it's fun as hell."

"I bet."

"What you mean 'I bet', girl your college days--"

"No, no, no, you will not put me like this."

I listen to Migos on the regular

WHOAAA NILLY HOLD ON TO YOUR SADDLE THIS STORY IS OFFICIALLY TAKING OFF

Yemi and Zayn gon fuck :)

ps I just published a new book go check it owtt if you want