[35]

"Where are you going?"

Zayn sniffed, taking a note off the fridge. "Pick up some groceries for dinner. And some medicine. And Jahdai."

"Aw," Yemi pouted, "be safe, okay?"

"Sure thing," he grabbed his keys and left. Yemi frowned, waiting until he drove off to start panicking.

"Oh my God, oh my God," she huffed and ran upstairs to his room. She opened the door, Looking around the room before snooping in his bedside drawer. There was a wad of cash inside, summing up to fifty dollars.

She was hoping Zayn didn't start using again, because it'd break her heart. He began feeling "sick" last week, claiming his nose was stuffy and allergies were coming about. Well, Zayn didn't have allergies in the first place, he said so himself.

He also looked smaller, as in, his posture was how it used to be. He curled in on himself and the bags under his eyes were dark. He just looked drained, and she knew part of it was because he refused to take days off.

Yemi whined, putting everything back the way it was before walking into his restroom. Edge blades sat on the sink counter along with empty razor tools and a money clip. She didn't think much of that because he did in fact shave this morning.

The front door opened and Yemi ran, making sure everything was in place before leaving his room and going into her own to look busy. She needed to wash clothes anyway, so that's what she did.

"Babe?"

"Yeah?" She grabbed her basket with dirty clothes and looked at him, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing I just forgot something," he scratched his clean shaven face and shrugged, "you need anything?"

"Um..." she looked around the room quickly, "tampons."

"What?"

"Tampons."

"You don't even use tampons."

Shit.

"I wanna try them--"

"Okay, nah, just send me the brand I got it."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," he smiled -- he looked like he was in pain -- and walked out.

Everything was weird, he didn't even say he loved her before he left. That was their thing and he stopped like a few days ago.

Yemi walked downstairs with her laundry, making sure Zayn was gone before setting it down and going back up. She went in his bathroom and looked in his medicine cabinet again. Nothing was out of the ordinary, but Zayn had a lot of pain medication.

She sighed, leaving his room and walking back downstairs. Her mind began scrambling up ways on how to bring this up, and it was nerve racking.

"Are you okay?"

Zayn rinsed off a plate and handed to to her for drying. "What do you mean?"

"I mean...I mean you're not acting like yourself," she clarified in a low tone, careful to not let Jahdai hear them, "and I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine, Yem. Just tired from work in general."

"Yeah, but--"

"What?" he was getting agitated and it really concerned her even more, "what else do you want from me?"

"I--"

"I'm stressed as fuck okay? I'm just..just...ugh."

"Fine," she quit drying plates and wiped her hands off, "just answer me one question, please?"

"What?" Sweat was on his forehead, something she noticed this whole day. He was sick from something.

"Are you using drugs again?"

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Zayn wiped his hands and threw the towel down, "no, Yemi. Why would I?"

"Because you look and feel and sound terrible, do you not hear yourself?"

"No, just...no. No," he tried to walk out, "I promise you that's not what I'm doing, Yemi, I swear."

"Okay," she wiped her eyes and turned away, "sorry."

"Babe," she felt his hand grab her wrist and turned back around. Zayn was frowning at her but it was more of a guilty thing than being mad. "I didn't mean to make you cry."

"No, I just cry easy," she sniffled and kept wiping her eyes, makeup smearing on her hands.

"Look at me," he put his hands on her face and tilted her head up, "I, Zayn Malik, am not doing any type of drug whatsoever. I promise you that, okay?"

"Then what's wrong?" Yemi blinked, "because you look terrible."

"I don't know," Zayn shrugged, "but...I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. So I'll ask."

"You don't even see how you look, Zayn."

"I guess not," he sighed and leaned against the counter, "I'm sorry, Yemi. Just...after Friday I'll be fine. I have some things to take care of work wise. I swear I'll be okay."

"You swear?" she asked again.

"I swear."

"Promise?"

He chuckled. "I promise, Yemi. Come here."

"I get scared for you, Zayn," she stuffed her face in his chest and hugged him, "spooky."

"I know, I know," he let out a breath and rubbed her back, "poppa's gonna be fine."

"You're so annoying," she giggled, looking up at him, "I love you."

"Same," he kissed her lips and she smiled again, "I love you."

"Let's go to bed then," Yemi walked out of the kitchen, "aw, Jah, you got new Pjs?"

"Nana, got 'em for me," he yawned, "they're monkeys."

"So cute, babe. Are you ready to sleep?"

"Yes," he cut the TV off and led the way upstairs. Zayn held Yemi's hips all they way up, making her smile and blush. They went into Jahdai's room, Yemi tucking him in bed.

"Baba, can you ready me a story?"

"Which one?" Zayn asked.

"Seuss! Seuss!" he grabbed his favorite one and gave it to him.

"I'll be in my room," she kissed Zayn's cheek and left.

how sad
this was trash bye