[33]

Yemi stared back at Zayn, her eyes squinting while he looked down at his plate.

It was their date night at Bistro Bistro, a Caribbean type of restaurant with really good food. It was in DC, so a little ways away from where they lived. She wanted to get out the city for a little and this was perfect.

Yemi wore all black attire consisting of a cropped sweater and a below knee length skirt. Her heels were laced up to her chins and her new bundles fell in very loose waves in a middle part down her back. A small gold chair adorned her neck along with a few rings and charm bracelets.

And of course she had to beat her face.

Zayn was so cute though, he had on a dark denim jack and a plain white shirt. His jeans were black and so were his boots, and his new hair was tousled on his head and oftentimes getting in his eyes if he moved too much. His rings were on also and the tattoos on his hands were so beautiful to Yemi. She loved all his tattoos.

"Are you okay?" Yemi asked finally, holding his hand with her own and rubbing the back with her thumb.

"Yeah, yeah," he cleared his throat and looked at her.

"Come on, Zayn," she smiled knowingly, "tell momma."

"I...I saw Max today," he confessed, "as I was driving to work, and...I realized that I actually used to look like that. He's so gone, though, man. But..." he trailed off and shrugged, "I don't get it, man. It's wild."

"But you're better now," she pointed out.

"Most definitely, I just feel bad for him. Anyway," Zayn squeezed her hand and smiled, most likely trying not to think about Max anymore, "you wanna hear something wild?"

"What, Zayn?"

"So this letter was addressed to me in the mail," he trailed off, making Yemi's eyes go wide as she thought about those simple words, "but it's a congratulatory statement on successfully paying off the fees of my rehab. You know where they got that crazy idea from?"

"Uh--"

"Because I don't remember paying for anything, I wasn't that crazy. And you said it was free, right?"

"Zayn--"

"Why would you lie to me, babe?" Zayn frowned and stared at her.

"Because," Yemi huffed, "you weren't cooperating and I had the money, Zayn. I was fine with helping you out."

"I'd rather you tell me it wasn't free than try to hide it."

"I was going to...later," she deflated while he kept frowning, "okay, I'm sorry, but you have this whole thing about paying me back that I didn't wanna add to it. That's coming from my heart, the clothes and whatever, fine, pay me back, but paying to get the help you really needed so you can go buy your own stuff is what made me do it. I'm trying to make you see the method to my madness."

Zayn rolled his eyes, smashing his face with both hands and lettingnout a breath. "I hate you so much that I love you, Yemi."

"That's cute. No, it really is."

"Thanks," Zayn let go of his face and smiled, "I mean, thanks in general, babe."

"You're welcome."

"So," their hands reconnected again and Yemi smiled softly at them, "you look great, btw."

"Thank you, Zayn."