[18]

"Is it almost ready?"

"Yeah, come on," Yemi beckoned Zayn over to the couch. He grabbed a bowl of popcorn and went over the couch, setting the bowl in his lap. "So dramatic."

Zayn shrugged, eating a handful and looking at the TV. "What are we watching, Yemi?"

"The rest of The New Edition story," she replied, "seen it yet?"

"It was on yesterday, I think."

"Yup. And I recorded it anyway," she smiled, leaning in the couch and resting her feet on the coffee table. "I'm watching it again."

"It's a good flick, I mean," Zayn drank from the glass filled with apple juice.

Today was Saturday, meaning Zayn had two days until he was to get it together and start his first day at work, but right now, he needed to relax. He got so worried over these things and he was easily intimidated by something this huge. He was finally back to work, and it was sort of where he used to be, not many homeless people could say that. He was really lucky.

And Yemi, he was even luckier to have her. She paid for everything, his new ID, the food he ate, his clothes, everything.

Zayn couldn't wait to get this check and try paying off some debt, before treating her like she deserved. She deserved the best and Zayn wasn't that right now, but he was definitely going to try.

"Awooooooooo," Yemi crooned, beginning the first vocal run of Can You Stand The Rain, "dun, dun, dun, dun dunnnn." She pretended to play the piano and Zayn couldn't help but laugh at her. "I love New Edition."

"Same."

"You listen to them too?"

"Yeah, I uh, grew up with a lot of this stuff. Hip, Hip, R&B...stuff like that."

"Awesome, now I know what playlist I turn to in the car," she giggled at him and put her knees to her chest, "what's your favorite New Edition song?"

"If It Isn't Love is still number one."

"Oh my goodness, I love that song," she kicked her feet out.

Zayn grinned, looking at her as she continued to since the lyrics. Why was she so cute, just why?

"'Cause I need somebody, who will stand by me. Through the good times and bad times she'll always be...always be right there," you know those people that can lowkey sing even when they're joking? That was Yemi. Fascinating.

"Yemi got pipes."

"Shut up," she slapped him and leaned back in the couch again, "oh snap -- sunny days. Everybody loves them. Tell me baby, can you stand the rain? Listen to Johnny."

Zayn's laughs turned to full on cackles when Yemi got up and twirled around. Her vocal runs almost matched Luke James' and it was a sight, especially when she couldn't stop laughing and held her stomach tightly.

"Okay, I'm done," she sat back down, closer to him than before, "is this too close for you?"

"Nah, you're fine," she grabbed his arm and wrapped it around her shoulders, "are you okey?"

"Yes," Yemi reached for her glass of apple juice, "smell this."

Zayn sniffed the glass and gasped. "Yem, why is there wine in here?"

"I don't...I like to unwind," she melted into his side and giggled, "this is my sixth glass."

Zayn snorted, pulling her closer -- yeah, he was definitely taking this opportunity. "You're hilarious."

"Thank you," she sang, absentmindedly playing with his fingers, "you know, I'm happy you're here."

"Why?" Zayn asked in wonder.

"Because...because I'm lonely," she pouted, "I have friends, but when I come home there's nobody but my puppies. I deserve people like you in my life. Nice people with nice hair and nice looks. You guys..." she hiccuped and that's when Zayn knew she was talking crazy, "you guys are awesome, and when I wake up tomorrow I'm gonna remember this moment and cherish it and frame it on my wall. Woo!"

"Yemi, you're not gonna remember this, I can tell."

"Yes I am," she sat up on the couch and put her forehead with his, "I'm using telepathy right now to tell you I'm gonna remember."

"I feel it," she was weirdly amazing.

"Good!" Yemi leaned back on the arm of the sofa and looked at him, "I hope it worked."

"Okay," Zayn shook his head and looked away.

"Daddy, what are you doing?"

Zayn felt light taps on his nose and woke up instantly, his eyes blurred but the silhouette of his son being made out in front of him. He was still on the couch, Yemi on the inside snoring lightly.

"What? What?"

"I have to go to the child center today, daddy."

"It's Saturday, baby," Yemi spoke up out of nowhere, almost scaring him.

"It is?"

"Yes."

"Oh," Jah thought for a second before climbing on Zayn and lying on his chest, "why didn't you invite me on the couch?"

"I'm sorry, little man," he chuckled, holding him tighter and getting back under the covers.

"Was this a date?" Jahdai whispered loudly in Zayn's ear, his father just acted like he was sleeping, "dad!"

"Zayn, you're so annoying," Yemi laughed tiredly before sitting up and wiping her eyes, "hi, Jah. We just fell asleep, man."

"Oh," Jahdai sat up and Zayn tried his best to sleep, but they just kept talking, "...I'm hungry."

"Of course. Let's go, babe." Jahdai hopped off and Yemi climbed over Zayn hugging his neck quickly before kissing his cheek.

"I didn't forget what I said."

I hope they have sex soon.

too bad they're gonna die