[37]

"My belly hurts," Yemi scrunched her nose and grabbed a bag of chips, "did you make me lunch?"

"Not yet," Zayn said before chugging down a whole bottle of water.

"What did they say at the doctor's?" she asked.

"Said I was fine," he shrugged, "I don't feel fine, honestly. I'm going to the ER later."

"Zayn, what?"

"Yeah, I think it's serious," he muttered while scrolling through his phone, "you wanna go with me?"

"Uh duh!" she got up and put the chips away, "I'm gonna get Jah dressed and you get ready too. We're not waiting."

"I'm fine now--"

"We're not waiting until it's too late, baby. Come on."

"Fine. Jah!"

"Yes, baba?" he walked in with just underwear on.

"What are you doing?" Yemi asked.

"Putting clothes on because someone," he pointed to her, "forgot to lay mine out for the day. Shame on you, mama."

"I'm sorry," she laughed, "I'll get it straight now, we have to go to the hospital, okay?"

"Is it nana?"

"No, it's baba."

"Baba--"

"He just feels sick," she picked him up and walked upstairs, "I'm sure he's okay but he just doesn't feel good."

"Okay. I'll be back, baba!"

"I'll be here."

Yemi quickly got her son dressed, informing him on how Zayn felt at the moment and making sure she had things in her purse that would occupy him for the long wait. Zayn was already dressed and headed for the door.

"Got everything?" Yemi asked Jahdai, who was putting his other shoe on.

"Yes," he went downstairs before her and stood in front of Zayn, "baba, are you okay?"

"Yeah," Zayn's voice was strained a little, peaking Yemi's attention, "I'm just...can we go?"

"I got you babe," Yemi helped him stand while Jahdai opened the door. They got in his truck and Yemi started the engine, backing out the driveway and onto the street. The hospital wasn't that far from them, but Jahdai was already halfway asleep by the five minute mark.

"Ugh," Zayn held his stomach and slouched in his seat.

"How do you feel?" Yemi asked, stopping at a light.

"Hold on," Zayn turned around to look at his son, "wanna listen to some music?"

"Yes," he perked up and grabbed Zayn's phone along with the earbuds, "thank you."

"No problem, babe," they waited for Jahdai to put the headphones on and turn the music up. Zayn turned around in his seat and huffed. "I'm going to die."

"What? Shut up, Zayn," Yemi scoffed at him.

"My stomach feels like shit and my head hurts like shit. I just feel sore and I'm tired but I can't sleep feeling this uncomfortable. I haven't slept in four days."