Chapter Sixteen

Alan's POV

I'd missed a week of school, two of the days were for Oliver's funeral and his wake. He passed away in his sleep, the nurse told me he went peacefully.

When I walked into the school doors I went straight to my locker grabbing what I needed for class.  I didn't want to be here.  I didn't want to run into Vic or Kellin or anyone really. I just wasn't in the mood now and I wasn't going to be ever. Especially not after everything that had happened in the past week. 

Life was just completely exhausting right now.  And I wanted nothing more than to lay in bed and sleep.  I started trudging along to my first class of the day.

"Alan!"

I stopped and let out a groan.

"Jeez, took you long enough to stop," Kellin said, wrapping his arm around my neck.

"What do you want?" I asked pushing his arm off my neck.

"I wanted to see how you're doing."

"I'm fine."

"No you aren't. You haven't been to school all week and you've ignored all of my texts and calls."

"Didn't want to talk with anyone."

"Alan," he sighed.

"What? I'm going through stuff right now, is it weird that I don't want to talk with anyone."

"I know what it's like to go through stuff and I wanna be here for you."

"I'm fine."

"No you aren't, you just said you're going through stuff."

"I know, I know." I said and ran a hand through my hair.

"Then let me," he said.

I sighed and pushed my glasses up, "I have to get to the class."

"I'll walk you."

I was too tired to argue with him any longer so I just shrugged and started walking.

Kellin grinned. "Great."

I was a little bitter that Kellin wouldn't leave me alone, but I knew there was nothing I could do to get rid of him.

"So, how are you holding up?" He asked, looking at me with concern.

"Could be better."

"Could be worse."

"I know." I said trying to keep myself from crying.

"Don't cry!"

"I'm not, I'm fine."

"Do you wanna go do something today?"

"No, I just wanna go home and sleep."

"I can take you home if you want."

"I have to stay late today to catch up on my class work I missed."

"That's dumb."

"I'm trying to graduate so I can get to Harvard before their next semester starts."

"I know you are but you're going through a bad time."

"I know, but I can't let anything hold me back from it."

"Alan, your best friend just died, you need to stop for just a while and go through the motions."

"I don't have the time to just stop."

"Make time."

"Can't." I said, "I have to go to. Talk to you later." I mumbled and went into my class.