a little bit of hope

Today is a bit different. I had a call. It was one of my colleagues. she asked me if I wanted to be a part of science project. They needed soneone to work in the new lab, close to the city. 'Nothing demanding' she said.'you'll surely handle it.'
It. Was. Ridiculous.
Will I handle? Sure I will. I graduated from Columbia University with fucking honours in Biology and chemistry for christ sake! But I didnt say that of course.  i was happy to start some activity there. 'What do u want me to do there'I asked.
'Well some simple blood tests- you can do it right?, maybe some other testing, we'll see.
I went straight to the pub after work. That's the nice thing here- they have a lot of pubs with good beer. I use them often to spend my evenings.Not many people.
I came back home at midnight,drunk but still conscious enough to get some shower and even read a chapter or two. Didn't eat much- well, dr Martinson wont be happy if he ever sees me again- I guess Im under 120 pounds now- I feel it wearing my jeans. But drinking is enough to let me survive this nightmare.

I still wake up- wet head to toes, thinking of the guy that was aiming his gun at me. He is free at bail in hot Miami and Im in hell in some fucking Arizona ... And this new name of mine-Lee. Jeeez...whoever gave it to me, must have had serious problems.
So this is my name - Lee. Im Lee Jones, like Indiana Jones....off to sleep.
The next morning the girl called Allie ( sounds similar to Calleigh) showed me the lab. I got my lab uniform. She asked politely ehat can I do, and I said politely that I can do everything she needs. Guess she misunderstood me a bit, because she smiled and just left. I can really do it. The labwork of course, not some small talks.
Then came the guy name Greg. He told me about the project - they re going to conduct some research here. I told him Im ready to help. Just give me the task. I got some plants to check and a bit of animal blood to examine. Great.
Ok, child, stop being spoilt. We'll see.
Looks like the next fine day.