day 2.

Came home furious. What the fuck was that? Are they all out of their minds? Me? An addict? I'm a scientist, I'm aware od the process of getting addicted!
I decided to show them all that they're wrong. Went straight to the lab. I saw her bending over the microscope. She was wearing the tightest jeans I've ever seen and a top. Pretty.
"I can prove to you that I can handle without booze." I said bluntly.
"How? You' ve been drunk for 5 days in 7."
"Yeah right. Did you count it?"
"Think. First day you ended in the pub. Second was ok- you were working. Third was a party with the crime lab guys. Fourth you came to me and not even remembered what you were doing this evening. Fifth was ok. Then sixth- St Patrick's Day- booze and yesterday- I bet you were drunk, am I right?" She said angrily.
I was stunned. Stood silently. Really? Was it really like that?
"I had a tough weekend".
"So did I. But you found another excuse to drink. How long has it been yntil now? Huh?"
"I don't know... "I said wearily." I can't say. I can't remember...."  I realized.
"It's still time to look for help".
"I went to my GP this morning"
"What did he say?"
I hid my head in my hands  "that I'm addicted to alcohol. He said my hands are shaking because I lack the booze today."
"Really?" "
Yeah. I 've never wanted to tell you this. I wanted to prove you're wrong.That's why I came here today."
"Why do you keep drinking? "
"I can't sleep. I wake up at night I have nightmares. I don't take pills because I feel sick after. I get some sleep only when I'm  completely drunk. That's why. "
"I want to help. Please let me help you. I've got experience"
"What will you do? Babysit me? Hide the bottles? Cover me? Maybe you could sing me lullabies so that I could sleep at last?" I said sarcastically.
She smiled "yeah. Something like that. My brother was addicted. He started drinking after his girlfriend left him. One beer, a bottle of wine, vodka, whiskey.... Sometimes all at once. Met another girl at the party. Wasn't sober enough to put a condom. She got pregnant. He didn't even remember the face, not mention the night. She lost the baby later."
"I'm sorry"
"I'm not. It was better for her. He wasn't going to be a father. Not at his state. He almost stopped working- he was a great doctor but he made mistake while on booze and someone died. They fired him. I took him to therapy and it went well. He was sober for 4 months, until the trial. The day he was to be judged he was driving on booze. He caused an accident. The girl in the hit car died. So did he. I'm glad. He wouldn't survive this. I feel so guilty I didn't help more." She hung her head
"How old was he?"
"29. My mum got depressed and died soon after. My dad never recovered the stress. He's a wreck of a man he used to be. I'm sorry I have to... "She left.
I sat silently. Maybe it's still time for me. One thing I was sure -opposite to Allie's family, no one would cry after me.