nothing ; 8

the duo doesn't actually end up getting mcdonald's at three in the morning, instead they sit in a rusty diner where the seat's leather is torn and the table and walls of the booth have all type of rubbish scribbled on them.

simon's blue eyes scan over the flickering neon sign outside the window, it seems as if it will drop on anyone who walks under it. the music in the diner is too loud for his liking and there are a bunch of bikers sitting at the corner of the booth, whispering about whatever seems to be important.

he still doesn't find it in himself to complain as a beaming jj slides into the booth with two plates of what seems to be freshly made burgers.

"this place has the best food." he speaks whilst stuffing his mouth with some fries.

"not the best atmosphere." the taller boy comments as he digs into his burger, a quiet groan slipping from his lips at the taste.

"who cares about that when you have food that tastes like this." the younger replies with a knowing smirk as he nods his head. and maybe simon does agree, because the burger he was munching on was definitely ne of the best he ever had.

the duo eat in silence for a while before the blue-eyed boy speaks up, asking a question that was on his mind for quite a time. "what was the fight about?"

simon watches as the latter's expression changes from delighted to troubled, almost as if he expected that the older boy would've forgotten it by now.

"umm, nothing—"

"it's okay if you don't want to tell me." the taller boy adds nonchalantly, expecting jj to change the topic to something bizarre anyways.

"no, i want to—" the dark skinned boy takes a bite out of his burger. "—tell you."

"take your time." he shrugs.

"the fight, it was with deji." jj admits, now looking at anywhere but simon, who sits there with raised eyebrows. he can't say he expected that the fight would be with his own brother.

"okay..." he states, unsure.

"deji isn't a nice person," the shorter boy scoffs. "to be honest, nobody in my family is. we live on gambling and smuggling and shit."

simon remains silent, now diverting his attention back to the neon sign outside the window whose green light flickers on and off rapidly.

"what did he do?" he asks, his eyes still on the sign.

"he ran over a homeless man while he was drunk driving." jj inhales sharply and simon watches the sign's light flicker once more before stopping.

"is he alive?"

"yes, but barely." the brown eyed boy also seems to be observing the sign now as if it was the most fascinating thing in the whole world. "deji refuses to pay for his hospital bills because he's a greedy bastard."

"any charges being pressed?" simon's tone is tentative, his fingers circling the rim of his plate. he feels as if this thing is something more than just deji running over a man, he feels that this has something to do with jj.